Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 07:01:56
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't run GSim latest version on Windows 10... (Read 1760 times)
stargate38
Uploader

I Love GravSim!

Can't run GSim latest version on Windows 10...
01/06/17 at 08:59:47

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem? First I received this error:

Code:
Failed to load control 'CommonDialog' from comdlg32.ocx.  Your version of comdlg32.ocx may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application. 

Then I downloaded the OCX from a trusted site, but I got this error from Regsvr32:

Code:
The module "Comdlg32.ocx" was loaded but the entry-point DllInstall was not found.

Make sure that "Comdlg32.ocx" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again. 

Can someone please tell me how to get it to work? I want to run some simulations.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Can't run GSim latest version on Windows 10...
Reply #1 - 01/06/17 at 12:49:57

Gravity Simulator was written in Visual Basic 6.0, which was discontinued years ago. So with each new version of Windows, their support for VB6 diminishes. I get the same problems you do on Windows 10.

This is the reason I re-wrote the program in Javascript. The newest version runs in your browser, so there is nothing to install. It also runs on Mac, Android, Linux, or any platform that has an HTML5 browser. This makes it easy to share your simulations with others since they even run on a smartphone.

Here is the new version:
http://orbitsimulator.com/gsim.html

Press M on your keyboard to show the menu. There are a couple of YouTube videos in the Help menu under "Manual".

Here are some of the simulations created by the new version:
http://orbitsimulator.com/gravitySimulatorCloud/simulations/

and more on my Twitter account (you don't need to have a Twitter account to view them)
https://twitter.com/tony873004

Javascript does not allow you to directly save your simulations on your computer. So they get saved to my server instead and you are given a link to your simulation. File > Save as... also generates the source code of the simulation for you, so you can copy it and paste it into Notepad or Wordpad and save it with an .html extension so you can run it directly from your own computer.

Let me know if this works for you. If you prefer the old version, let me know and I'll see if I can find a workaround to the dll issues.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 01/11/17 at 12:43:00

Maybe there is a work around ?  
Don't know if it works , but Windows normally allows to run a program in "Compatibility Modus " in a previous Windows version.  
Right click the GravSim program , choose Properties , select Compatibility ...

As said , don't know if this works...hopefully it does...

Email View Profile   IP Logged
stargate38
Uploader

I Love GravSim!

Reply #3 - 01/17/17 at 07:38:55

Nope. Compatibility mode didn't work. It just won't find the OCX (ActiveX) for some reason. cry

stargate38
Uploader

I Love GravSim!

Reply #4 - 08/17/17 at 10:50:47

Could you please find a workaround? I can't seem to get it to work, no matter what I do. I even went under "Turn Windows features on or off" and enabled "Legacy Components" (which worked for an old game from the early 2000s), and it still doesn't work.

Also, there's a typo at the top of every forum page:

Quote:
News: Registration for new users has been diabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.

Should be "disabled".

jwbrase
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/03/17 at 19:00:22

Quote from Tony on 01/06/17 at 12:49:57:

Javascript does not allow you to directly save your simulations on your computer. So they get saved to my server instead and you are given a link to your simulation. File > Save as... also generates the source code of the simulation for you, so you can copy it and paste it into Notepad or Wordpad and save it with an .html extension so you can run it directly from your own computer.

If you have the page source saved to your computer, how much work is it to be able to get local filesystem access? For example,  if I were to generate an ephemeris or a log of conjunctions or closest approaches via autopilot scripting and wanted it logged to a file? I suppose I'd need a Web server running locally,  and perhaps a few more things on the back end?

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 09/04/17 at 11:58:23

Javascript doesn't allow the code to save directly to your computer for security reasons.
You could run server software locally. It needs php. Look at the source code (ctrl + U). Find all the external scripts and php's by searching for "script" and ".php" and copy them to your computer.

Or you could just output to the Quick Help, then copy and paste that content into a text editor or spreadsheet.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print