Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 06:55:27
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
67P Comet - Rosetta - Birthplace (Read 2930 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

67P Comet - Rosetta - Birthplace
10/23/16 at 02:11:53

I came upon this article describing recent work of Dr. Paul Wiegert .  

http://mediarelations.uwo.ca/2016/10/17/western-university-astronomers-predict-p ossible-birthplace-rosetta-probed-comet-67p/

Amazing result .  
Did myself a quick sim for about 7000 years in the past , and to my surprise the comet's orbit changes already between 50-100 years in the past , probably due to a close encounter with Jupiter .  Really not stable .

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: 67P Comet - Rosetta - Birthplace
Reply #1 - 11/09/16 at 23:24:28

Sorry for the slow reply. I didn't see your post until now. Usually I get an e-mail notification.

Running this comet backwards shows Jupiter gives it orbit-changing kicks in 2007 and 1958. Due to the chaos induced in the 2007 kick, I wouldn't trust that the 1958 kick actually happens. But it does show what is possible when a comet remains in a Jupiter-crossing orbit for a few decades. So Wiegert is probably correct. This comet is probably a relatively new-arrival from the Oort Cloud. Runing the simulation in either time direction will probably result in a kick back to the Oort Cloud, or a complete ejection.

You ran for 7000 years? You probably saw a lot of orbit changes. I'll have to let this run over night!

Here is a backwards-running simulation of this comet.
http://orbitsimulator.com/gravitySimulatorCloud/simulations/1478762279692_cgReve rse.html

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 11/10/16 at 12:52:01

Yes , I ran a sim for 7000 years . I  also created a close clone to the comet . Both orbits diverge very quicky , after some decades . The orbits become very chaotic. In the 7000 years I simulated I saw the comet wander out , sometimes wander in again , but in general wandering out, farther and farther  , crossing Saturns orbit , then  Neptunes orbit ...
The result Wiegert announces doesn't surprise me .  

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 11/11/16 at 05:57:09

To show what I got ....I've put the screenshots of the above sim in an animation.  
Sim runs 30.000 years back in time . Each screenshot covers 300 years .  
The animation shows the solar system from "above " , Pluto in white , Neptune in green, Jupiter in orange .  

The yellow orbit represents the nominal path of the comet . The white orbit is a clone .  
Orbits are very chaotic and extend far beyond Pluto from time to time, but suprisingly the perihelia stay related to Jupiters orbit (  in this sim ).  

67P_Comet_Min_30000y_.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 11/13/16 at 04:52:05

Another simulation , covering 100 000 years to the past and involving 2 clones of  67P ( in white and red ; yellow being the nominal path) is animated hereby .  
All 3 orbits have the tendency to wander out to the outer solar system . One clone (the white one ) even gets a slingshot  and is driven in an orbit of Sma 2000 AU and ecc 0.998 .  So a birthplace far beyond Pluto may be a possibility.  
No of the 3 orbits however have perihelia far from Jupiters orbit after 100 000 y.

67P_Comet_2_Clones_100000_y.gif
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print