Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 15:04:34
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keeler Gap Sim ? (Read 2150 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Keeler Gap Sim ?
08/21/16 at 00:55:11

I came upon this link , dealing with the Keeler Gap near Saturn where te moon Daphnis seems to make some waves on the ring nearby , as it passes the ring particles .

http://www.universetoday.com/130351/new-jpl-visualization-waves-saturns-rings-pu ts-keeler-gap/

I wonder if this aspect ( waves ) may be simulated with Gravity Simulator ?  
Haven't tried yet myself.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Keeler Gap Sim ?
Reply #1 - 08/22/16 at 21:10:24

I saw the same article you did and wondered the same. It would take a lot of particles and probably run prohibitively slow. I can see why the moon would disrupt the rings, but I can't see why the rings would settle back to normal after the moon passed.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 08/24/16 at 09:26:31

Quote from Tony on 08/22/16 at 21:10:24:
I saw the same article you did and wondered the same. It would take a lot of particles and probably run prohibitively slow. I can see why the moon would disrupt the rings, but I can't see why the rings would settle back to normal after the moon passed.

I agree , I also cannot see why the particles return to the normal plane , except if one takes into account inelastic collisions between particles .  
If there is no dissipation of energy one would observe a ring with ever lasting fringes I imagine .  

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 08/27/16 at 13:29:14

Googling for "Keeler Gap" , I came upon this link . Nice animations . Seems indeed the Keeler Gap Waves need indeed some model of inelastic modelling .  

http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~mlewis/Rings/KeelerGap2005/

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print