Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 02:06:37
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Funny starlike orbit (Read 1636 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Funny starlike orbit
10/07/14 at 13:58:57

I was playing recently with a binary system  
( the two red planets which orbit their commom barycenter ( red dot in the middle) , see picture ).  
In the sim the yellow test particle was orbiting the binary .  

From this orbiting partcle I detached another particle , the red  one .
It moved to the binary , got some sweeps , formed a star-like orbit ...
I guessed it would crash soon with one of the binaries or being ejected from the system .  
To my surprise however the particle kept forming its star like orbits , with a nice pattern , changing its orbit with every pass a little ..
But t kept going ...

I've seen analogue orbits earlier , but never saw such an orbit for a particle which was releaed at a random position , at random velocity , around a random generated binary .  
Funny .  

Whished I had saved the sim .  
Fortunately I made a screenshot .  

Screenshot_StarlikeOrbit_.jpg
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Funny starlike orbit
Reply #1 - 10/07/14 at 17:55:03

If it is the last sim you ran, it will be saved as resume.gsim and will open when you run gravity simulator again.
Otherwise, I don't know why its doing that.

edit:
It's doing that because you've locked one of your primaries to the center of the screen rather than the system barycenter.
Press the F button on the Graphics Options interface.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Funny starlike orbit
Reply #2 - 10/08/14 at 04:39:54

Quote from Tony on 10/07/14 at 17:55:03:
If it is the last sim you ran, it will be saved as resume.gsim and will open when you run gravity simulator again.
Otherwise, I don't know why its doing that.
edit:
It's doing that because you've locked one of your primaries to the center of the screen rather than the system barycenter.
Press the F button on the Graphics Options interface.

Well , I ran this application not with GSim , but with a simulator I wrote by my own.  
It lets detach a probe from an Orbiter at command input , so I'm not sure anymore when I hitted the detach button and the probe was created .  
I wanted to simulate the Rosetta's landing on 67P . In GSim this isn't easy as we have a rather complex object and complex gravity potential field.  

On your edit : The screenshot was made with the barycenter of the binary kept in the middle . So both  binary stars are in orbit around their COG.  

Maybe if I repeat the sim I can get the same result after let's say 100 tries , not sure about this .  
What I tried to say is that imo this orbit is a realistic orbit and not an "engineered ,well defined" orbit .  

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print