Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/19/17 at 13:38:48
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bound trajectories check (Read 1871 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Bound trajectories check
09/21/14 at 11:14:10

It is known that in a two body problem a planet is bound if the total energy is smaller than zero  
( elliptical orbit ) .  
In this case we have : E= Ep+Ek <0 :  mv²/2 - GmM/r <0 . This means the velocity should not be too big .  

I now have a system of a planet orbiting  a binary.  
And want to have a quick check if the planet is bound to the binary.  
Any idea's how I should proceed ?  

mv²/2 -GmMtot <0  (vrel to center of mass Mtot )  
or :
 m Vrel1²/2+ mVrel2²/2 - GmM1/r1 -GmM2/r2 <0   ( two bodies considered )

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Bound trajectories check
Reply #1 - 09/22/14 at 06:38:58

Compute the center of mass of the binary.  Pretend all the mass was there, and treat it as a single object.  Now see if energy is negative, or check if ecc < 1 or sma is positive.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 09/23/14 at 13:21:43

Quote from Tony on 09/22/14 at 06:38:58:
Compute the center of mass of the binary.  Pretend all the mass was there, and treat it as a single object.  Now see if energy is negative, or check if ecc < 1 or sma is positive.

Thanks Tony , you think treating the binary at its COG gives better results than taking account of the two seperate masses ?  
I think in general yes it is but :

If COG is used one  does not take into account a change in energy due to a close encounter of one part of the binary .  
I'm not very sure in this case .  
Is there a way to test  in GravSim the result if I would test the second approach ?

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 09/24/14 at 22:41:33

I gave it another thought .  
Of couse you are right Tony , at long distances this is indeed the criterium .  
I just wondered If at close distances the separate approach could be appropriate . I had the impression that although a body which is in eliptical orbit around a binary can be trown out after a "close " approach to one part of the binary .

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 09/25/14 at 18:26:47

I think the secondary bodies have to be about 5x as far as the aphelion of the primary stars for stable orbits.
Gravity Simulator can do this.

File > New
Create another star around the Sun.

File > New
Create a low-mass body around the Sun and choose "barycenter" in the focus object.

There's also a View > View Orbital Energy option, but I think I coded it wrong.  It's not doing what I expect.  You could always output data to view in Excel.  Energy of the system is the sum of U + KE between every body in the system (-GMm/d^2 + 0.5 * m * v^2).  It should be constant.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print