Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 22:41:09
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kirkwood 1000y sim (Read 2314 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Kirkwood 1000y sim
01/02/13 at 09:46:27

An "old" file in a new jacket .  
I once received from EDG a file kirkwood1000y.txt to output it with the Gsim viewer , but I don't know anymore to which system setup this file belongs . Maybe EDG ca help ?  
But nevertheless . I've added to the viewer a new functionality which colorcodes individual particles at the start of the sim .  
Example of output is hereunder : it seems that especially the violet particles , which are originally at the right end of the picture tend to get unstable . The sim was run for 1000 years .  
If one is interested to get the new viewer feature I can  post it .

PicSmakirkwood1000y_txt_1826.jpg
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Kirkwood 1000y sim
Reply #1 - 01/02/13 at 10:16:10

Same sim as above , but now with the evolution of the Sma of the individual particles as function of time .  
One can see some volet particles escape to lower Sma after a couple of years .

PicTimeSmakirkwood1000y_txt_1826.jpg
Email View Profile   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #2 - 01/03/13 at 00:24:55

I'll have to rummage through my files and remember what I was doing (and how to do it), but I'll take a look!

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #3 - 01/04/13 at 00:09:42

I couldn't find anything resembling that unfortunately. The graph might be from somewhere in the kirkwood gaps experimental threads, but I couldn't find a source gsim file for it.

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #4 - 03/19/13 at 19:17:44

I had a thought... instead of colouring your particles by starting distance, can you colour them by time?  

IIRC one problem with your graphing method is that if a particle gets flicked out once to some extreme value, it stays on the graph as a red dot. But if you could colour the particles based on time somehow... so maybe they start off as red when they first enter a region of 'phase space' on the graph and then 'cool' over time if they don't stay there (going through orange, yellow, green, etc to violet) then that will provide us with visual information showing whether the particle really is stable in that region or if it just entered it once.  

Something like that anyway - I'm not sure if what i suggested specifically would work, but it might give you an idea maybe?

(formerly known as Mal)
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print