Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 07:50:22
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pixel Gravity (Read 5456 times)
guyy
Uploader

Warning: Often
Incomprehensible

Pixel Gravity
05/20/11 at 21:16:09

So! I doubt anyone here actually remembers, since it was over 3 years ago (yikes), but I popped up here way back then and mentioned a gravity-simulating program, much like this one, that I'd been working on. Since it's finally available, and in the slow process of working its way out of extreme obscurity, I thought it'd be worth mentioning here:

http://www.pixelgravity.net/

Despite my somewhat flippant description of it on the homepage, it's decently scientifically capable as well as being fun to mess around with (I used it as a project in a university cosmology class last year, adding a Barnes-Hut system to it in the process). And it imports/exports .gsim files, too. Grin

Give it a look, if you want. And feel free to point out any nasty bugs you find. Tongue

Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Pixel Gravity
Reply #1 - 05/20/11 at 23:13:08

Just woke up this morning , checking news , played the video in your site ...
Just one word Guyy : WAW !!!
Really awfull !! .  
Be sure I'm interested and will play with the tool ...

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #2 - 05/21/11 at 01:44:50

Ooo. That looks very interesting indeed! And just in time for the holiday weekend here Smiley

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 05/21/11 at 13:35:43

Oh no!  Competition  Shocked
I like the web site.  I'll try the program soon.  Glad to hear it imports gsims!

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #4 - 05/21/11 at 15:50:06

Though I am somewhat bemused by the idea of people paying extra to be able to upload simulations on the website. Why would we want to do that if we can just upload them anywhere else for free?

(formerly known as Mal)
guyy
Uploader

Incomprehensible

Reply #5 - 05/21/11 at 23:20:46

Quote from EDG on 05/21/11 at 15:50:06:
Though I am somewhat bemused by the idea of people paying extra to be able to upload simulations on the website. Why would we want to do that if we can just upload them anywhere else for free?

Yes, well...that bit's an experiment, and not really meant as "Pay to post stuff!" but more as "If you donate extra, you can also post stuff, unless that seems pointless!". We'll have to see whether it's a silly idea or not...

Edit: I've changed things around with that; you can now upload 5 simulations per week for free after buying the program itself (would be pointless with the demo since it can't save...), and they'll also appear immediately and automatically. Needing to set them up manually was the only real reason for the money-begging anyway, so hooray for otherwise superfluous server software, I guess? (VB6 can't figure out how to save .png files, but luckily my webhost has an image converter installed. And it isn't broken!)

« Last Edit: 05/22/11 at 12:13:55 by guyy »  
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 05/30/11 at 22:06:23

Quote from guyy on 05/20/11 at 21:16:09:
And it imports/exports .gsim files, too. Grin

I downloaded it today.  How do I open a .gsim file?    It looks very nice.  Any chance for a freebie code to unlock the rest of it  Cheesy

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #7 - 06/01/11 at 12:03:46

I've been playing around with the pixel gravity for some days now .  
Still haven't detected any bugs ! Very nice work Guyy!  
I'm fascinated by the features of the camera moving , zooming , rotatng ...and many others .  
Smooth transition between the frames even when zooming and panning . I like this .
But coming from Gravity Simulator I miss really some data of the simulation right on the screen such as the time , velocity boxes , orbital element boxes , just visble at "rhe left corner" .  
Can this be done ?  
Object moving on the screen also are selctable by clicking . When clicked the screen changes and additional vectors and path appear . Nice ! .  
However what I want to is an easy way to have the selected  object to be centered . How is this done ?  
Further in some sims ( the Venus transits ) I see the viewpoint is the Earth , looking at the sun , but I haven't found out yet how the fix the camera to an object . How is this done ?

nascarnik
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 06/01/11 at 13:06:07

I really like the program
It is a little annoying at first but once you get used to the controls it is really good
The thing that i liked most is that you can see the orbit of an object change in realtime with passes to other objects (tony could you be able to do that for your simulator given the time?)
another thing that i liked was the ability to add asteroids to the simulator easily and in various ways.
All in all it is a great program and if it could take the great qualities of your program and combine with this program that would be awesome

guyy
Uploader

Incomprehensible

Reply #9 - 06/01/11 at 16:38:23

I did actually find a bug today, though luckily it's harmless and of the "you'd have to be nuts to do all these things at once" variety...

Quote from frankuitaalst on 06/01/11 at 12:03:46:
But coming from Gravity Simulator I miss really some data of the simulation right on the screen such as the time , velocity boxes , orbital element boxes , just visble at "rhe left corner" .
Can this be done ?  
Object moving on the screen also are selctable by clicking . When clicked the screen changes and additional vectors and path appear . Nice ! .
However what I want to is an easy way to have the selected  object to be centered . How is this done ?
Further in some sims ( the Venus transits ) I see the viewpoint is the Earth , looking at the sun , but I haven't found out yet how the fix the camera to an object . How is this done ?  

Pressing 'D' gives you a window with time, vectors, orbital elements, etc. It's not as compact as the Gravity Simulator version, though you can swap the frames around (click one, then click another one, or use the buttons on the top and left sides) and resize the window to save some space.

Press 'Enter' to center (a) selected object(s), or 'S' to put the viewpoint on the surface of a selected planet (the latter doesn't work with a group).

Quote from Tony on 05/30/11 at 22:06:23:
Quote from guyy on 05/20/11 at 21:16:09:
And it imports/exports .gsim files, too. Grin

I downloaded it today.  How do I open a .gsim file?    It looks very nice.  Any chance for a freebie code to unlock the rest of it  Cheesy

You can open .gsims in File->Import, or by dragging a .gsim onto the window or .exe file. But you need the full version for that (otherwise it'd negate the "no loading arbitrary files in the demo" thing...). I don't actually have a way to create accounts for free anymore, but I might send you my temporary test account so you can try it.  Tongue

And, nascarnik, the import/export means you can already combine the two programs to some extent...though that requires the full version.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #10 - 06/02/11 at 14:07:52

Thanks Guyy . The mentiooned commands work perfectly !  
(as a programmer still anxious to know how the program maneges to do such a clean and quick drawing performing on the screen )

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print