Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 14:57:48
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1) (Read 5040 times)
kheider

Wikipedia is a
MMORPG

Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1)
03/25/11 at 23:25:13

NASA just released an orbital update for Comet Elenin.  Many websites are claiming that the comet is causing Earthquakes and/or might be Planet X.  Anyway, I see this as a good chance to try and teach them something.  Near perihelion the comet will have a slightly hyperbolic orbit.  But due to an interaction with Jupiter the eccentricity will drop below 1 before the comet leaves the planetary region.  Can we plot the eccentricity of the comet from 1950 to 2050?  Perhaps even a plot of the eccentricity versus the distance from Jupiter?

Using barycentric values, the original orbit was about 4 million years before entering the planetary region and will be only about 11,800 years after leaving the planetary region.

http://home.comcast.net/~kpheider/Elenin-barycenter.txt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2010_X1

-- Kevin Heider

PS: Sorry I have been gone so long...

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1)
Reply #1 - 03/26/11 at 02:20:55

Thanks for sharing this update Kevin .  
Ran the sim forward and backwards in time with initial data centered on 01/01/2009 as this is the setting I normally use ( have to paste the comet in the data of 16 other celestial bodies which I keep at 01/01/2009) . I also included Saturn in the plot .  
Below is what happens . In Early august this year 2011 the comet may be influenced strongly by Jupiter .  
I see in the other data ( have to prepare  them for posting ) the comet comes in in a hyperbolic orbit and leaves in an orbit with ecc close but beneath 1 .  

Edit : the jump in the above plot seems to occur at the time of closest approach to Earth . Hereunder are the closest distances ( in mio km)  
Sun      Merc      Venus      Earth      Mars      Jup      Saturn
72.21      113.06      145.61      35.24      215.45      359.53      397.74

EleninDistance.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 03/26/11 at 03:26:35

The eccentricity of Elenin is strongly influenced by the gas giants Jupiter and Saturn .  
Both do their job in reducing the comets eccentricity .  
The two pictures show that at closest distance to both planets the eccentricity is reduced in such a way that the comet will be bound to the solar system .  
If one takes a closer look the ecc is growing as the comet approaches Saturn in late 2008 , then after the close approach the eccentricity goes under 1.00 .  After the close encounter with Jupiter the eccentricity is further reduced .  
I've added some arrows which indicate the flow of time .  
In all cases the eccentricity is refered to the sun

Elenin_Ecc.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 03/26/11 at 04:11:41

Detail of the Eccentricity around end 2011 , beginning next year , seems to indicate the comets eccentricity will go under 1.00 early 2012 , when the comet is on its way to his cloes encounter with Jupiter . This passage is indicated with the red line .

Elenin_Detail.jpg
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 03/26/11 at 05:58:53

If we take the solar system Barycenter as a reference the pictures looks as this :  
The comet comes in at Sma of about 26000 Au and leaves the solar system at about 515 AU . Somewhere in between it recahes a hyperbolic orbit .  
It seems to become bound ( red line ) in mid august this year ,after the close approach to Earth on its way to Jupiter .
« Last Edit: 03/26/11 at 07:33:10 by frankuitaalst »  

Elenin_BCenter_Solar_System.jpg
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 03/27/11 at 02:25:27

The plots hereunder show the eccentricity ( rel to Solar Bary center ) change as function of the distance to the gas giants .  
In case of Jupiter the comet approaches Jupiter (after the encounter with Earth ) in a slighly hyperbolic path . Shortly before reaching the minimal distance with Jupiter the comets eccentricity reduces

Ecc_Elenin_BC_afo_distance_Jupiter.jpg
kheider

Wikipedia is a
MMORPG

Reply #6 - 03/27/11 at 04:53:35

Quote from frankuitaalst on 03/26/11 at 03:26:35:
The eccentricity of Elenin is strongly influenced by the gas giants Jupiter and Saturn .
Both do their job in reducing the comets eccentricity .
The two pictures show that at closest distance to both planets the eccentricity is reduced in such a way that the comet will be bound to the solar system . In all cases the eccentricity is refered to the sun

Thank you frankuitaalst.  I have added the most straight forward plot to wiki:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Elenin_Ecc2011-03-25.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2010_X1

-- Kevin Heider

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print