Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/20/17 at 09:18:35
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kepler system with two planets sharing an orbit! (Read 2676 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Kepler system with two planets sharing an orbit!
02/27/11 at 15:38:40

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20160-two-planets-found-sharing-one-orbit. html

Apparently there's a planet in a stable orbit at one of the L4/L5 points in this system! (star KOI-730 is KID 10227020)

full paper at: http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.0543

Might be worth a closer look in gravsim?

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Kepler system with two planets sharing an orbi
Reply #1 - 02/28/11 at 10:56:10

Interesting , but it seems also possible that the two planets are in another resonance . This is due to the low detectability - not constant visability- of the system .  
I've been searching to find the expected masses and proper orbital elements but cannot find it - yet -

Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 03/02/11 at 14:11:27

Here's my attempt of the simulation of the above described system : KOI730 , consisting of 4 planets , which are believed to be on a 6:4:4:3 resonance.  

The animation shows the orbits in rotating frame on the third planet (in white) which is believed to be somewhat larger than its coorbital ( in yellow) .  
The animation was run for ca. 45 years .  
Each frame covers 4 orbits of the outermost planet .

The simulation was created as following :  
Assumptions : central body has sun mass
Orbits are circular (e=0) with no individual inclinations .  

The paper gives the planets radii , from which the mass of the individual planets are calculated using the formula in the paper .  
The individual Sma can be deduced from the observed periods ( which are between 8-12 days) .
Above data are enough to calculate the initial conditions .  

The system shows a lot of dynamics . Anxious to see how it evoves on larger timescales...

KOI730_Animation_RotFrame.gif
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #3 - 03/03/11 at 02:04:34

I've got periods of: 14.785, 9.84978, 9.85997, and 7.38469 days for the planets (from outermost to innermost), and orbital radii of 0.12, 0.092, 0.092, and 0.076 AU respectively.

As for the star, I've got a radius of 1.1 Sols and a mass of 1.07 Sols.  

(from the excel planet and star list on my blog, which was transcribed from the Kepler discovery paper).  

I dunno if the new paper updates that at all though?

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 03/03/11 at 12:11:15

Quote from EDG on 03/03/11 at 02:04:34:
I've got periods of: 14.785, 9.84978, 9.85997, and 7.38469 days for the planets (from outermost to innermost), and orbital radii of 0.12, 0.092, 0.092, and 0.076 AU respectively.

As for the star, I've got a radius of 1.1 Sols and a mass of 1.07 Sols.

(from the excel planet and star list on my blog, which was transcribed from the Kepler discovery paper).

I dunno if the new paper updates that at all though?

Thanks for drawing my attention to this paper . I've inputted the new parameters in the sim and got more or less the same result .  
One unknown however are the mean anomalies . Tried out some configurations and saw that if I put the second coplanar at 180 then the system gets really excited .  
Of course the system is very "packed" , 4 planets each having about a mass of 10 Earths orbiting so closely...

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print