Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 02:43:43
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plutonian system update (Read 2595 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Plutonian system update
01/16/11 at 06:13:15

The Plutonian System has been caught some attention recently in the Baut-forum , asking for Nix and Hydra 's orbit .  
Tony made a simulation some years ago , downloadable here .  
http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/plutosystem.html

I guess the number of observations of both moons may have been increased since then .  
Here's an animation of the system , centered on the barycenter of Pluto-Charon , running for 10 years and looked upon from "above" .  
Initial data were taken from JPL ephemeris as per 01/01/2009.  
It is very clear that the orbit of Nix ( the red one ) is strongly perturbed as it is dragged by the binary Pluto-Charon .  
The outermost Hydra in green also shows signs of precession of its periapsis .

PlutonianSystemFromAbove.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Re: Plutonian system update
Reply #1 - 01/16/11 at 09:14:52

Looks like you have four satellites there (grey orbit, inner red orbit, outer red orbit, green orbit) - I thought Pluto only had 3 (Charon, Nix, Hydra). Or is the grey orbit Pluto (and the dot it's orbiting is the barycentre)? I guess the central dot is throwing me...

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Plutonian system update
Reply #2 - 01/16/11 at 10:14:32

Quote from EDG on 01/16/11 at 09:14:52:
Looks like you have four satellites there (grey orbit, inner red orbit, outer red orbit, green orbit) - I thought Pluto only had 3 (Charon, Nix, Hydra). Or is the grey orbit Pluto (and the dot it's orbiting is the barycentre)? I guess the central dot is throwing me...

Sorry for the doubt ...
Yes , the stationary dot in the middle is the barycenter . Pluto in grey , Charon is brown .  
If the picture would center on Pluto the orbits would look really weird .

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print