Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 07:58:23
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gravity Simulators Future (Read 1701 times)
ssc4k
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Gravity Simulators Future
09/19/10 at 08:08:14

Things seem to have gotten REALLY slow around here this last year and, unless I am mistaken, there hasn't been an update to the program since November 2009. I know Tony planned on coding some over the summer but I don't think any was done :/. Maybe it would fair better as open source instead of freeware?

I was also wondering if members just went to other, better, programs or places that I am not aware of?

View Profile   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Re: Gravity Simulators Future
Reply #1 - 09/19/10 at 13:27:25

Frank's been posting a lot of interesting experiments/animation over the past year.  

For what it does, gravsim is IMO the best program out there. It could do with improvements in the interface, but if there are "other, better programs" out there that do the same thing then I haven't found any.  

Open sourcing the program would be interesting, but that would require some administrative overhead and I don't know if Tony has time for that.  

It would be nice to have some updates though. Frank's excellent graphing program could be integrated or packaged with the gravsim program. Migration could be implemented more easily than going through the Autopilot too.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 09/19/10 at 14:09:08

In my opinion GravSim is far the best program I know of . It does what is has to do and doesn't have bugs .
It may take some time to get familiar with all the features and get the best out of it , but that's normal taking into consideraton the wealth of possibilities .  
So , also waiting for an update .  
Migration drag would be great to simulate in GravSim . Personally I would also like to have the feature "viewed from" as an add-on .  

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 09/19/10 at 18:12:48

Quote from frankuitaalst on 09/19/10 at 14:09:08:
...Migration drag would be great to simulate in GravSim . Personally I would also like to have the feature "viewed from" as an add-on .

These are both things I'd like to add as well.  I planned to do some coding over the summer, but didn't get around to it.  In May I finally graduated with a degree in Physics and Astronomy.  But since my mind can only spend so much time each day staring at numbers and variables, Gravity Simulator coding was put on the back burner, as homework took priority.  This year is even busier as I'm in a teaching credential program to become a high school physics teacher.  But when the time permits, I will code again.

As for open source, the most important math has been released.  The integration routine is contained in an external .dll, so you can already write your own and drop it into the program.    To date, I don't know anyone who has done this.  The vector to orbital elements code has also been released. The rest of this program is basically tedious GUI coding.  I don't feel like cleaning it up to the point I'd like to release it.  It's 10s of thousands of lines long.  And nobody has been knocking on my door to get me to release my seceret "diameter to radius" formula used in a few of the GUIs.  But if anybody has Visual Basic 6.0 installed on their machines, and you'd like a copy of the entire code, send me an email.

Sometimes the forum does get REALLY slow.  Part of this is my participation is less than in previous years for the forementioned reasons.  But the main site still gets lots of hits.  In fact, TODAY is a record day for hits, with 4x the normal traffic.  I have to wait until tommorow, when the server logs are updated to see where it's coming from, but it seems to have something to do with the "Jovian Moons" simulation.  I know Jupiter is supposed to make a record close passage to Earth next week.  Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 09/20/10 at 23:58:41

Congratulations Tony with your degree !  
( should we adress you from now on with Dr?  Smiley  
Migration simulation as a result of varying drag  would  be fantastic to play with . I really hope you can manage this .  
For what concerns the "view from" feature , I guess you can find or have the necessary formulae . In case you want a shortcut I can provide the formulae I use in my Taylor integrator  . The formulae  are straightforward and use the technique of projection . I think some 100 lines of code .

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print