Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 04:07:57
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
General question to all: why do you use Gravsim? (Read 1765 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

General question to all: why do you use Gravsim?
08/13/10 at 13:30:24

I'm curious, why do the people who frequent this board actually use gravsim? Do you use it for a specific purpose (e.g. science research, or testing out a fictional system you've created?) or do you just use it to test things out of curiosity?  

I guess we are a peculiar brand of astronomy geek Smiley. I use it generally to test out fictional planetary systems that I generate, which usually ends up going off on all sorts of tangents (this is why I post sporadically here... when a project grabs me I'll have a big burst of testing things out, otherwise I'm quiet). But I check the forum at least once a day.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: General question to all: why do you use Gravsi
Reply #1 - 08/15/10 at 03:56:41

I use GravSim most out of curiosity as a hobby , so let's say out of personal interest . Especially I find it easy to investigate the dynmics of numerous amounts of bodies in the case of resonance , stability , special effects aso .

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 08/19/10 at 11:08:58

Using it gives me a good understanding of how orbiting systems behave.  I like to experiment.  I really liked the Kozai simulations we made earlier.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #3 - 08/19/10 at 20:41:05

I suspect that's about all the answers I'm going to get to this, since we're the ones who post here the most Wink.  

Yeah, the Kozai ones were fun. The ones I did with the asteroids belts were really interesting too. I think I've lost some of the graphics for those... and I should see if I can dig out Frank's graph-drawing tool too, because that was really handy.  

I just wish there was a way to multi-core the program, but I know now that there isn't. It's kinda frustrating to have it chug along using only one core of a new multi-core PC, which isn't actually all that much faster than doing it on the single core of an old high-end single core PC. Sigh.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Planet_X
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/10 at 13:19:01

I use G-Sim either for solar system generation or for simulating alternate trajectories of spacecraft such as Pioneer and Voyager.  Later!

J P

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print