Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 09:22:51
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for Tony (from BAUT binaries topic) (Read 2104 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Question for Tony (from BAUT binaries topic)
03/06/10 at 17:22:41

For reference: http://www.bautforum.com/space-astronomy-questions-answers/101620-binary-systems -orbital-trigonometry-question-2.html#post1694571

I may be doing something wrong here... I followed Tony's instructions but I don't get the orbits that he gets.  

Should I be setting it to "Barycentre" when I'm making Star2 as well as the planet? I'm using the Nov29 2009 beta build of gravsim, on windows 7.

central.gif

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Re: Question for Tony (from BAUT binaries topic)
Reply #1 - 03/06/10 at 17:41:04

OK, I've tried three times to make this system, and it's just not working - this time the planet just corkscrews right off the screen. And all the time I'm doing exactly what the instructions tell me to do.

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #2 - 03/06/10 at 17:59:25

On a related (interface) note, is there any particular reason why we have to enter each object individually? Why not have the object creation/editing screen just be a big table that you enter the values into?  

So, whether you click on "edit object" or "create object", you'd see a single table pop up. The first row (for a new file) would have the Sun object name in col 1, mass in col 2, size in col 3, semimajor axis in col 4, etc. Then you just add objects in the subsequent rows, and it creates the objects entered in all at once when you hit OK. I think that would make things a lot easier for data entry.

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 03/06/10 at 18:12:50

Open the Graphics Options interface by pressing F8 or F9. Then press the button that is labeled "F". That puts it in floating mode centered on the barycenter. Or you can simply toggle the floating mode on and off with the F button on your keyboard.

If the planet corkscrewed off the screen, you probably forgot to check the 'barycenter' box when you created it.

I've played around with the type of interface you're suggesting.  The problem I run into is that there is too much data for each object for it to be displayed on a single row without horizontally scrolling the screen.  I may revisit that idea again.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #4 - 03/06/10 at 18:19:02

Quote from Tony on 03/06/10 at 18:12:50:
Open the Graphics Options interface by pressing F8 or F9. Then press the button that is labeled "F". That puts it in floating mode centered on the barycenter. Or you can simply toggle the floating mode on and off with the F button on your keyboard.

If the planet corkscrewed off the screen, you probably forgot to check the 'barycenter' box when you created it.

I'll try it again (with that F thing checked too).

Quote:
I've played around with the type of interface you're suggesting.  The problem I run into is that there is too much data for each object for it to be displayed on a single row without horizontally scrolling the screen.  I may revisit that idea again.

Well, I know my horizontal resolution is 1680 pixels... would it really be so long as to go off the edge of a screen that big? Most monitors are at least 1200 pixels horizontally nowadays.

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #5 - 03/06/10 at 18:23:49

OK, when I checked the original file, the barycentre wasn't set. I edited it so that it was, but the planet still flew off.  

So I deleted the planet and recreated it, made sure that the barycentre was set to Star1, and put it in floating mode, and NOW it works. Hooray! Smiley

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #6 - 03/07/10 at 15:46:34

I posted a few more graphs using the output files on the BAUT topic, if anyone's interested.

(formerly known as Mal)
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print