Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/19/17 at 21:49:08
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Earth with saturnian rings (Read 4407 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Earth with saturnian rings
01/30/10 at 04:03:37

In the BAUT forum there was a discussion about Earth heving gathered a Saturnian ring system .  
http://www.bautforum.com/astronomy/99795-if-earth-had-saturn-like-rings.html
Here's a simulation of such a system ( 500 particles ,with Sma from 12.000 to 20.000 km ) .  

Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Earth with saturnian rings
Reply #1 - 01/30/10 at 07:15:21

And here's how the simulation looks ...
Running the sim for tens of years there are no signs of instability which may be provoked by the moon  

Edit : I noticed Earths ring system seems to have spokes , just as saturnians system . This is surely due to compression artifacts

EarthwithRings.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 01/30/10 at 08:23:40

The variation of eccentricity and inclination as a function of sma and time (over a period of about 10 years)  is shown here ( generated using the viewer ) .  
The envelope of the parameters doesn't seem to indicate any instability of these objects.  

Edit : parameters used in the simulation : Ecc=0 ; Incl =0
« Last Edit: 01/30/10 at 09:39:34 by frankuitaalst »  

EarthRingsEvolutionEccInc.gif
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 01/30/10 at 15:15:27

Yes, the spokes would just be an artifact of the graphics.  Did you include Earth's moon?

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 01/30/10 at 23:42:36

Yes , I took the Full System where Moon was included .

Nexus
Uploader

Wazzup??

Reply #5 - 02/02/10 at 15:04:11

Is the plane of the ring particles in the plane of Earth's equator or the ecliptic?  

I suspect the strongest influences on the stability of these particles are things Gravity Simulator doesn't model; such as atmospheric drag, the nonspherical shape of the Earth, possibly even the pressure of sunlight on the grains.

---
There was a thirsty science geek,
but now he is no more.
For what he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.
View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #6 - 02/03/10 at 12:28:10

Quote from Nexus on 02/02/10 at 15:04:11:
Is the plane of the ring particles in the plane of Earth's equator or the ecliptic?

I suspect the strongest influences on the stability of these particles are things Gravity Simulator doesn't model; such as atmospheric drag, the nonspherical shape of the Earth, possibly even the pressure of sunlight on the grains.

The plane of the particles is in the ecliptic here but it could have been in the equator plane with the same result more or less.  
You're right : Gravsim doesn't take into account the obliquity and the pressure of sunlight . The influencece of the athmospheric drag can be neglected I think because the minimum Sma of the partcles is 12.000 km , far above Earths surface .

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 02/03/10 at 12:43:23

If the particles are in the equatorial plane, I don't think Earth's shape will make much difference, as the gravitational potential is constant within the plane.  It's when particles are going above and below the plane that they will feel Earth's gravity strengthen or weaken throughout their orbit.

Force from sunlight works just like gravity, except in the opposite direction.  It even falls off as an inverse square like gravity.  So to an individual particle, it's as if it's orbiting a slightly less massive sun.  I guess the interesting thing would be that a particle's cross-sectional area increases as its radius squared, but its volume, and hence its mass increases as a radius cubed.  So larger particles are less-affected.  But since they orbit the Earth, the effect may even out over the course of an orbit.  Just guessing.

You can actually make Gravity Simulator take into account the pressure of sunlight by computing yourself what the acceleration would be on each particle, and then using Autopilot to continuously thrust away from the Sun by this amount.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print