Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 00:21:21
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Galileo saw Neptune (Read 3395 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Galileo saw Neptune
11/02/09 at 07:57:30

A wile ago there was a discussion going on on the BAUT forum about the fact Galileo might have seen Neptune while observing the moons of Jupiter between dec 1612 and january 1613 . The discussion is here :  
http://www.bautforum.com/space-astronomy-questions-answers/94094-galileos-fifth- moon.html
In the  document showing the original drawings of Galileo one can see Galileo saw a "star" which was later identified as being Neptune.  
Galileo wasn't aware of his discovery  
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997BaltA...6...97S

In an attempt to visualise this unusual coincidence I've ran the solar system simulation backwards till the year 1610.  
Picured from above one can see that around this time Neptune was in conjunction with Jupiter not only once , but TWICE .  
The conjunctions are marked with the green lines between Earths and Neptunes orbit .  
Jupiter is the orange dot .

NeptuneAround1613_Above.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Galileo saw Neptune
Reply #1 - 11/02/09 at 08:18:58

Running the above mentionned simulation again , but this time from the viewpoint of Earth looking at Jupiter gives an idea what Galileo might have seen if he had had the occasion to observe on a regular basis .  
Each frame in the animation covers about 1 month . Each dot corresponds with 12 hours .  
One can see how Galileo was witness of the highly coincidal amazing fact of the apparent retrograde-prograde  motion of Neptune relative to Jupiter .  
And even of an occultation of Neptune by Jupiter ( provided the sim is accurate ) .  
One can also see Neptune appearing a second time as a series of dots above the planet Jupiter , which is in accordance to the animation above .  
The position of Neptune relative to Jupiter seems to match with the observational drawings by Galileo in the manuscript above .

JupiterFromEarthAround1613.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Galileo saw Neptune - Occultation of Neptune by Ju
Reply #2 - 11/04/09 at 10:50:26

I was wondering if there was some literature about the above mentioned occulation of Neptune by Jupiter around the year 1613 and found this reference ( wondering if the simulation was accurate ) .  
http://www.go.ednet.ns.ca/~larry/planets/occltlst.htm
Seems the mentionned occultation is at least confirmed by another simulator .

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Galileo saw Neptune - simulation with html
Reply #3 - 10/15/17 at 11:58:56

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Galileo saw Neptune
Reply #4 - 10/15/17 at 15:08:25

Thanks Frank. I forgot we had this thread. I'm glad to see that the two models agree with each other.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print