Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
10/23/18 at 18:50:40
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moon Capture Simulation- Binary Planetes (Read 3151 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Moon Capture Simulation- Binary Planetes
07/05/09 at 01:51:46

In the BAUT Forum there's is topic about binary planets , and about  the question if binary planets are possible .
http://www.bautforum.com/space-astronomy-questions-answers/90064-binary-planets. html
Of course this subject demands for a gravity simulator simulation  Smiley
The file in attachment starts with 100   0.01 Jupiter sized planets at 5AU around a central    
solar mass. ( in red ) . To this system were added 100 Earth sized planets at 4.9 AU ( in blue ) .  
All planets are in the ecliptic plane and have initial zero eccentricity , with random mean anomaly .  
So we have two rings of objects .    
One can think of it of being a proto planetary disc .
« Last Edit: 07/05/09 at 10:42:55 by frankuitaalst »  
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Moon Capture Simulation- Binary Planets
Reply #1 - 07/05/09 at 01:56:50

Running the sim gives the following animation over a couple of years ....
Some planets merge , others are ejected , but more interesting is that we have some scattering of the orbits , creating the possibility of frequent encounters ...
( click on the icon to get a full screen view ) .  

MoonCaptureGlobal5AuAnim.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Moon Capture Simulation- Binary Planets
Reply #2 - 07/05/09 at 02:21:16

Lets zoom in to body 59 and center it ( red spot in the middle) .  

This body merged before the start of the animation with another 0.01 MJup, but this is not really important .  
Watch however the two Earth sized planets approach from the left .  
As they are approaching Body59 they clearly interact at the end .  
One body gets absorbed , the other one changes its course and ...indeed is captured !!

This is the first time I was lucky enough to see a capture in the sims I've made so far  Smiley.  
I think in the above sim there's  another capture with body 78 , but I haven't animated it .  

It's interesting to see that the capture is the result of the interaction of 3 bodies ( in fact 4 if the sun is also counted) .  Captures where fewer bodies are involved are almost impossible or even impossible I think .  

The above sim was run for some more hundreds of years . The number of bodies decreases due to further merging or expulsion. Fewer active bodies remain , decreasing the chances of having multiple encounters .  
I saw no captures anymore after the initial few years.  

MoonCaptureDetailAnim.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Moon Capture Simulation
Reply #3 - 07/09/09 at 13:25:03

I think if there are a lot of bodies sharing the same orbits , capture of bodies may occur frequently .  
I've set up a system of 200 Earth sized bodies . 100 of them at 5AU (the red)  and another 100 at 4.8 AU (the blue).  
The sim herunder is centered at a body which I saw capture some bodies .  
The animation starts when  the central body merges with 3 neighbours , then after a while a first body is captured in an encounter with 2 blue bodies .  
Then another body is captured , which will be ejected after an encounter with another blue body .  
Finally the centered planet looses all of its moons ... and will stay moonless ...

CaptureSim.gif
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print