Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
09/23/19 at 13:46:48
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Orcus = anti Pluto (Read 4801 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Orcus = anti Pluto
03/29/09 at 10:29:33

The biggest known Plutino , Orcus , is said to be the anti Pluto as it resides at the opposite site of Plutos orbit .  
This is generally but partially true . Both objects have different orbital parameters . In general when Pluto is "west" Orcus will be "east" . This can easily be seen in a rotating frame with Neptune .  
Due to the libration of both bodies however the angle Orcus makes from the sun as seen from Pluto can be more than 60 .  
I tested the Orcus orbit in this animation .  
Orcus orbit is plotted as an observer would see it from Pluto keeping a fixed eye on the sun ( in the middle of the screen ) . Animation was run for 21000y .  
The viewangle in this animation is about 136 .  
It seems Orcus may be occulted be the sun itwice in this time period in around 5000 and 11000y from now as its observed orbit sweeps over the sun.  

Edit : I changed the animation to a viewangle of 150 and added Jupiter , Saturn and Uranus
« Last Edit: 03/29/09 at 14:27:32 by frankuitaalst »  

Orcus_From_Pluto_with_GGiants_Anim.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print