Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
09/23/19 at 13:46:36
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem running sims with lots of bodies (Read 7178 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Problem running sims with lots of bodies
03/15/09 at 09:05:08

I tried running frank's Jupiter Moon formation sim ( http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1237121297/0#0 , first post) and I don't think gravsim likes it. When I set it to run at 128, it's really slow and jerky and doesn't animate - it just flashes a few timesteps, then the gravsim window goes completely black, then it flashes another few frames, then it goes black again and so on...  

I noticed this when I was running sims of asteroid belts with a lot of asteroids (usually more than 300 or so. Definitely kacked out on 1000 asteroids).

My computer should be more than enough to handle this - it's a Quadcore Q9550 with 6GB of 1333MHz DDR2 RAM, and an HD4850 graphics card. Is there a setting I have to tweak in gravsim to make this work properly? I'm using the new beta too.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Problem running sims with lots of bodies
Reply #1 - 03/15/09 at 10:35:34

Maybe it can helmp if you adapt the preferences .  
I used 50 for the DoEvents and 100 for the Graphics .Works smoothly ....

Email View Profile   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #2 - 03/15/09 at 11:00:50

Quote from frankuitaalst on 03/15/09 at 10:35:34:
Maybe it can helmp if you adapt the preferences .
I used 50 for the DoEvents and 100 for the Graphics .Works smoothly ....

That's what it's already set at.

Though setting Graphics to 10 seems to make it speed up and be less jerky (it's still slow though). the window still blinks out and goes blank every now and then though. IT seems that lowering the graphics even further improves it, although it seems slow to respond in other ways if I do that. Even if I lower it to 1, the animation is smooth but it still blinks out occasionally (and if the trails are on, they get removed when it blinks out).  

Setting DoEvents to 500 just kills it - the program becomes completely nonresponsive.  

What PC specs do you have? It seems wierd that yours works with 50/100 and mine doesn't...

(formerly known as Mal)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 03/15/09 at 11:26:08

wait a moment ...
In the beginning a lot of bodies will be deleted , so the screen blinks ...Thats normal ..
Let it run for a couple of minutes ...

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 03/15/09 at 11:38:32

Set the DoEvents to 1.  You have to go lower, not higher to remove the jumpiness in sims with lots of objects.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #5 - 03/15/09 at 12:14:04

Quote from Tony on 03/15/09 at 11:38:32:
Set the DoEvents to 1.  You have to go lower, not higher to remove the jumpiness in sims with lots of objects.

I've set both to 1, but it still blinks out occasionally... is there some buffer being filled and resetting maybe? I'm also wondering if the blinks occur whenever there's a collision?

It'd be interesting to see what Frank's PC is like - if he can run it smoothly at 50/100 then why would I not be able to?

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 03/15/09 at 12:27:55

It should blink out when there is a collision.  I programmed it to do so on purpose (with a CLS statement), although I forget off the top of my head why I did that.

You should only notice this with trails on.  In this simulation, the screen gets cluttered pretty quickly with trails on.  I've been running it with trails off.  It's a neat simulation.  Good job Frank.

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #7 - 03/15/09 at 12:41:33

Oh it's interesting Smiley. Though I do notice it with the trails off (you can still see the blink as all the dots vanish for a sec). Personally I think it'd be more interesting without the 'clear screen', then you'd see trails merging into eachother.

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #8 - 03/16/09 at 18:38:49

My gravsim seems to have lost the ability to show me when objects get larger in size after accreting moonlets into them... it did it for Frank's Jupiter Satellite runs, but isn't doing it for my new ones, and I'm just wondering if there's something I have to turn on or toggle to make that work? It was kinda useful because then I could see which were the bigger moonlets and which were still the small ones. It doesn't seem to be related to the scale of the window either, they're all small dots when I zoom in or out.

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - 03/16/09 at 23:19:30

When you choose "Edit> Edit Objects" and look up their diameters, are they growing?  Send me your sim and I'll see what's going on.

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #10 - 03/17/09 at 01:40:38

Quote from Tony on 03/16/09 at 23:19:30:
When you choose "Edit> Edit Objects" and look up their diameters, are they growing?  Send me your sim and I'll see what's going on.

You can grab any of the gsims from the Moon Formation thread - http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1237164016

And yes, the diameters are growing (well, at the end they're much bigger than the initial diameters, so they must be growing in between the start and finish!) - but they're just drawn as the same small dots, not as more visible circles.

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #11 - 03/19/09 at 22:36:20

Another problem: I seem to have no way of checking that I correctly entered the parameters for all the bodies in a belt/disk after I've entered them. e.g. in run #5 I can't tell if I entered the eccentricities for the main disk correctly, or that I entered the right number of bodies (or had the right masses for them). All I can do is delete the entire belt if I'm not sure, and then recreate it and hope I get that all entered properly.

(formerly known as Mal)
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print