Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/14 at 21:29:57
News: Registration for new users has been diabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saturnian Trojans ? (Read 1512 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Saturnian Trojans ?
02/23/09 at 11:59:38

There are as far as I know no known Trojans to Saturn ( and Uranus ) ; Jupiter has numerous Trojans while Neptune has only 6 trojans , all of them leading .  
Why doesn't Saturn has no detected Trojans ?  
I remember a statement Saturnian Trojans are only stable over longer time periods in certain (Inc, Ascending node ) regions .  
Here's a simulation of 25 leading and 25 trailing trojans to Saturn. They were originally placed around the L4 and L5 point , at zero inclination .  
Screenshots were taken each 145 years ( about 5 Saturnian years ) .  
The whole simulation was run for about 30.000 years .  
Blue bodies are leading , green are trailing .  
Trojans of Saturn indeed seem to be unstable ( even in this small amount of time ) .  
Jupiter seems to pump up the eccentricity of the trojans little by little , till the orbits really suddenly get a boost in eccentricity resulting in varying major-axes .  
Finally the orbits get out of their horseshoe and will be wildly scattered over the solar system .  
It's amazing to see how the leading trojans ( the blue ones ) seem to be more stable than the trailing ones .  

I tried to stabilise the orbit of Saturn in rotating frame but unfortunately this wasn't a succes .  

SaturnTrojans145yFrame.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
atomic7732

Kalassak, Paladin of
Storms

Re: Saturnian Trojans ?
Reply #1 - 02/23/09 at 14:28:02

Frank could you run it longer to see the orbits scatter?

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 02/23/09 at 15:28:17

To stabalize Saturn, use the "Calibrate" button on the "Rotating Frame Adjustment" interface.  Click Calibrate.  The mouse turns to crosshairs.  Then click Saturn.  Wait a few minutes and click Saturn again.  This tells Gravity Simulator how far Saturn drifted and sets a new rotating period based on this.  To fine-tune it, just do it again.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
atomic7732

Kalassak, Paladin of
Storms

Reply #3 - 02/23/09 at 17:25:19

Quote from Tony on 02/23/09 at 15:28:17:
To stabalize Saturn, use the "Calibrate" button on the "Rotating Frame Adjustment" interface.  Click Calibrate.  The mouse turns to crosshairs.  Then click Saturn.  Wait a few minutes and click Saturn again.  This tells Gravity Simulator how far Saturn drifted and sets a new rotating period based on this.  To fine-tune it, just do it again.

But do you slow it down to actually click on saturn or just near saturn?

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 02/23/09 at 18:40:34

You need to click exactly on Saturn.  If Saturn is tracing an oval, choose the same part of the oval for both clicks:  Leading Edge, Trailing Edge, or Center, whichever you can more precisely identify.  This tells Gravity Simulator how fast Saturn is drifting so it can compensate.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 02/24/09 at 12:30:49

I've managed to keep Saturn still . Thanks for the hint Tony .  
For those who want to try the simulation : simulation starts some years after the initial setup .  
I've run it at 30000 seconds , but reduced it when the system gets crazy to 16000 seconds.  

Edit : running the application longer than 30.000 years where the trailing trojans become unstable I noticed also the leading trojans become unstable after about 68000 years .  
Does anybody has an idea what's causing the difference ?  

Edit2 : Question for Tony : I thought to reverse the simulation in order to observe the stability differences  back in time and wanted to make some screenshots , but GravSim didn't make screenshots in reverse mode . Did I do something wrong ?

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #6 - 02/25/09 at 13:34:06

I've outputted the data of the above simulation uo to 40.000 years , about 10.000 years after the scattering of the trailing Trojans and made the following Sma,Ecc and Sma,Inc plots .
The graphs clearly show how the asteroids are scatterd troughout the solar system .  
The scatterig starts where the body of the tree diverges into the branches to the left and right .  
It's amazing how the bodies which started  at zero eccentricity and  zero inclination are scattered not only in sma but also in inclination .

SaturnTrojansEvolutionSMa_and_Inc.gif
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print