Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 13:29:07
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Science fiction ....: sun explodes (Read 1578 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Science fiction ....: sun explodes
09/13/08 at 23:41:44

( something I always wanted to simulate ).  
Suppose for some reason our sun looses at a given time 0.1% of its mass by means of a radial explosion .  

The simulation starts with 180 solar filaments , each having 1.09e+25 kg of mass and diameter of 52754 km ( having a density of 1.40 ) .  
The bodies start at a radius of 4533,927 km from the suns center and are arranged equidistant on this circle , so their mutual distance is 3 times  their diameter ( can be compared with a pearl chain) .  
They start with a velocity outwards of 252.664 km/s , about 1/3 of the escape velocity at suns surface .  
How do this system acts ?  
In annex the simulation file , starting with a timestep of 0.02 sec.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Science fiction ....: sun explodes
Reply #1 - 09/13/08 at 23:53:28

In frames of 4 hours apart the explosion shows up as following :  
After a rapid inflation of the explosion front one can see a slowing down of the filaments .  
The filaments  also tend to coglomerate as their radial speed decreases and mutual atttraction dominates .  
At the left a couple of  bodies were ( not intentionally ) given a small offset in radial initial velocity . They combine very soon after the explosion .  
It's interesting to see how Mercury survives when the schokwave passes.  
The wave comes to a maximum distance somewhere half the way between Mercury and Venus and then collapses again.  

ExplosionSun.gif
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #2 - 09/14/08 at 09:32:06

That's interesting, I didn't think the wave would collapse back like that!

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 09/14/08 at 09:48:07

Quote from Mal on 09/14/08 at 09:32:06:
That's interesting, I didn't think the wave would collapse back like that!

Increasing it's initial velocity a little will it bring much further ( fi : v + 2% might the wave bring beyond Jupiter ) , till there is a point ( v+4% ? ) where the bodies leave the solar system .  
It' s funny to seen how small initial deviatons grow up to different patterns ( see left and right ) .  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print