Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 02:01:42
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Accelerating an asteroid? (Read 4681 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Accelerating an asteroid?
08/20/08 at 23:26:19

I want to take a 200,000kg rock (radius 0.05 km) orbiting at 40 AU, and apply a constant 1G acceleration on it toward the sun (don't ask why Wink). Is it possible to program this into GravSim? Or can I only apply a constant thrust to the rock?

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Accelerating an asteroid?
Reply #1 - 08/21/08 at 19:12:38

Quote from Mal on 08/20/08 at 23:26:19:
...don't ask why Wink

Why?

Yes, you can do this.

menu > Autopilot
Choose "Continuous Orientation" and select "towards" and choose your object in the left dropdown list, and choose the Sun in the right dropdown list.  Click the "Current Time" button.  Then press "Add"
This adds an autopilot command that tells it to always aim the asteroid towards the Sun beginning now.

While still in Autopilot
Choose "Thrust", select your asteroid, place 9.8 in the "meters/second/second" box, and make sure that "initiate" is choosen.  Press the "After Last" button.  Press "Add".

This adds an autopilot command that tells it to begin thrusting at 9.8 m/s/s in 1 second from now.

If you want it to thrust indefinately, then you're finished.  Simply press "OK".  If you want it to thrust for a specified amount of time, then enter the time and date you want the thrust to terminate.  Then choose "Thrust" from the dropdown list.  Select the asteroid, and choose "Cut off".  Press "Add".  Then close the Autopilot by pressing "OK".

I just tried it.  This is a pretty cool simulation.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 08/22/08 at 09:13:33

I guess applying this thrust comes as a surplus to the other gravitational forces without replacing them .  
Is this correct ?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 08/22/08 at 11:14:55

Quote from frankuitaalst on 08/22/08 at 09:13:33:
I guess applying this thrust comes as a surplus to the other gravitational forces without replacing them .
Is this correct ?

Yes.  It's as if the asteroid has a rocket engine on it, and it aims straight at the Sun, accelerating at a constant 1g.  Where it's going to get the required energy to do this is a mystery.  Mal has some explaining to do. Grin

It's initial orbital velocity is what keeps it from crashing into the sun.  And it can't leave the solar system either, since after it passes the sun, its as if it turns around to continue thrusting towards the sun.  It's actually more interesting if you start it at 1 AU instead of 40 AU.

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #4 - 08/23/08 at 18:00:27

Thanks, I'll give it a go later!  

And it's in part because of an argument about using rocks as weapons in the Traveller RPG universe. The idea is that you stick a reactionless drive on an asteroid (which in Traveller don't appear to use any fuel. Go figure), then have it accelerate constantly at 1G to hit a planet closer to the star. Because there's no fuel limit, you can potentially just keep accelerating it (not necessarily at 1G, you can accelerate it up to 6G) until you reach a significant fraction of the speed of light. If that hits the planet, then that makes for a very big boom. Smiley

I just wanted to see how it'd look in practice - one thing I didn't get was how the orbital velocity affected the inward acceleration.

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #5 - 08/24/08 at 10:28:10

Heh, that's awesome - it keeps missing Smiley - this is what it looks like after 20 months - the pink trails are the asteroid that keeps coming back to try to hit Earth Smiley.

nearc.jpg

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #6 - 08/24/08 at 10:36:49

And here it is 7 years from the start Smiley

nearc7.jpg

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #7 - 08/24/08 at 10:57:05

Same thing, but the asteroid starts at 5 AU, not 40 AU. This is after 2 full years of simulation time - it's a very pretty pattern, but it's still missing the Earth Smiley

In all cases the rock's initial orbit around the sun is eccentricity 0.1, inclination 0 - would changing that make any difference at all?

5au_nearc2.jpg

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #8 - 08/24/08 at 11:00:18

by the way, Tony - is the thrust really acceleration? It just says "metres/second" on my version of Autopilot, not "metres/second/second" (I'm using the 27th June 2007 Beta here... is there a newer version?)

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #9 - 08/24/08 at 11:08:50

Rock starting at 5 AU, with 6G acceleration toward planet. Still missing...! (after 1 year of simulation time)

5au_nearc_6g.jpg

(formerly known as Mal)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #10 - 08/25/08 at 09:37:42

Amazing pictures Mal . Is it still missing after all that time ?  
I wonder what speed the rock gets , because after several months at 1g it should be close to lightspeed !  
In that case , at such a speed the rock passes just through another body without the programm even notices a collision . Reducing the timestep may help ?  

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #11 - 08/25/08 at 10:22:40

Quote from frankuitaalst on 08/25/08 at 09:37:42:
Amazing pictures Mal . Is it still missing after all that time ?
I wonder what speed the rock gets , because after several months at 1g it should be close to lightspeed !
In that case , at such a speed the rock passes just through another body without the programm even notices a collision . Reducing the timestep may help ?

Well the 6G rock was on a timestep of 1...  Smiley

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - 08/25/08 at 14:18:38

It will not approach the speed of light because the thrust is not continuously in the same direction.  After it passes the sun, it turns around to face the sun again, and slows back down to 0.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #13 - 08/25/08 at 14:40:13

You're right . I did some calculation and it takes about one year to reach c at 1g  
. Distance travelled is then more than 10^15 meters .  
However starting from 40 AU the speed may already be enormeous.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print