Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 11:43:07
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Resonance stability ... (Read 3560 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Resonance stability ...
07/11/08 at 12:14:31

I've been playing around with some resonances of bodies in order to find out if resonances are stable .
First attempt is shown hereunder :  
System consists of Sun , Earth and a second Earth at 2:1 resonance with Earth , with eccentricity 0.  
Watch how the system precesses , especially the inner Earth (ours) . Animation is run for 7000 years . Each frame covers 100 years.  

12ResonEarthAnim.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Resonance stability ...
Reply #1 - 07/11/08 at 12:20:52

The above system is stable , but it's an illusion to think that resonances are "absolute" , at least if the system consists of bodies with comparable mass .  
One can see the evolution of the Eccentricity and Semi-Major Axis of both planets.  
The system pulsates with a period of about 2250 years .  
While the inner planet merely reacts with a change in eccentricyity the outer planet prefers to change its SMA.  Both planets return to their initial state every 2250 years.

12ResonanEarths.jpg
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 07/11/08 at 19:58:52

The changes are very subtle.  If you give one or both some eccentricity, they should lock into the 2:1 resonance.  You can view this with the rotating frame.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 07/12/08 at 13:05:59

Yes , the changes are very subtile indeed . This may be due to the small masses of the Earth bodies . Do you mean  small eccentricity may lock the bodies even closer ?  
I also ran a 3:2 resonance with the inner body at 1AU ( as above ) and also get a smooth oscillation as above . The period of oscillation is shorter . I think this must be due to the fact the bodies are closer in a 3:2 resonance than in a 2:1 resonance .

32Resonance.jpg
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 07/13/08 at 01:37:55

Moving the outer body even closer to the inner body in a 4/3 resonance gives the following result :  
The frequency of the oscillation increases , which makes sense ; also the deviation in SMA increases , although still subtile . Both are logical .  
So decreasing the distance between the bodies from 2/1 over 3/2 to 4/3 increases the frequency of the oscillations , but also the "overshoot".  

43Resonance.jpg
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 07/15/08 at 12:31:14

I've made some more simulations with other resonance ratios and noticed that the amplitude of the 5/3 resonance was much lower than the 3/2 and 4/3 resonance .  
Further ratios such as 9/7 , 7/5 have also this low value .  
Hereunder an overwiew of the results . Depicted is the SMAmax/SMAoriginal of the outer planet .  
This is amazing .  
The resonances with odd numbers seem remarkable stable .  
I also noticed that for this ratios there was no change in eccentricity .  undecided

ResonacesOverview.jpg
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print