Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/20/17 at 07:41:10
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
unlocking sun from solar system barycentre (Read 10266 times)
tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

unlocking sun from solar system barycentre
06/08/08 at 04:30:40

Hi all, noobie question about this fantastic software
In this link http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117567 'tony873004' (Tony Dunn?) uses the orbit simulator to demonstrate the effects of the planets on the suns motion about the barycentre opf the solar system.

"Unlocking the Sun exposes the solar system barycenter which is now locked to the center of the screen. The Sun spends nearly a decade in this image circling the solar system barycenter:
http://orbitsimulator.com/BA/sbc2.GIF

Editing the Sun and setting its size to 0 while retaining its mass allows me to zoom in on the solar system barycenter and observe the Sun's path around it:
http://orbitsimulator.com/BA/sbc4.GIF"

How do I use the menu options to "unlock the sun"?

Do I need to import data from the JPL file? How do I do this please.

Many thanks

tallbloke

Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: unlocking sun from solar system barycentre
Reply #1 - 06/08/08 at 04:44:50

Hallo and welcome here .  
There's a simple trick : if you toggle between absolute and floating mode left on the screen, you get in the center of the screen the barycenter of the system and in the other case the object you have centered to . Thats probably what Tony called unlocking the sun .  
Figure herunder may be self explaining ...
I think the second part may best be answered by Tony , but you can already download a lot of good .gsim files under the "simulations" menu to start with .

Unlocking.jpg
tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/08/08 at 05:07:10

Smiley
Thanks very much for the extremely quick reply. Now I need to RTFM so I can make a graph of the variation in the earths distance from the sun wrt time. I would particularly like to produce a graph which shows the variation of distance due to the barycentric motion of the sun, with the variation due to the eccentricity of the earths orbit removed. Is this best done by creating a new object of zero mass in a circular orbit at mean earth-sun distance?

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 06/08/08 at 05:24:58

SmileyI think we're on the same time-line ...
You can start with the solarsystem.gsim file and under the first menu select "create output file ", selecting the bodies you want and selecting for instance Rx,Ry,Rz . Then you get a datafile which can be read by exel . In this file you can perform the necessary calculations and generate graphs.  
I'm not sure if the barycenter data can also be outputted directly . Tony can give some more info about this .

tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/08/08 at 05:33:51

Thanks again!
One more dumb question. How do I shift the viewpoint to a 'polar' position above the barycentre. Can't seem to find anything under the view menu...

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 06/08/08 at 05:53:08

Running the simulation you see at the right a scroll bar . Scrolling let you alter the viewpoint from equatorial to polar and even from N to S- pole ...

tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 06/08/08 at 06:30:26

embarrassed
D'oh! Should have spotted that. Can it be set numerically to an exact value?

I'm using the fullsystem.gsim setup (Is this what you meant by solarsystem.gsim as I don't have that?). I'm assuming anything beyond pluto isn't going to affect the outcome by any significant degree, and the asteroid belt, due to it's even toroidal distibution can also be ignored. Does this seem right?

The problem I'm encountering is that I get a different result each time I run the same simulation. Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to 'reset the sytem' each time in some way, or am I running the simulation too quickly, causing maths errors to multiply? I'm running the clock back from the default start date  at 1-1-2005 to 1985, then forward to 2140 using 16384 second steps on a 1ghz laptop.

Any hints appreciated.

« Last Edit: 06/08/08 at 09:58:05 by tallbloke »  
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #7 - 06/08/08 at 11:39:56

There's another sim : onlyplanets.gsim which is more suited for what you're doing .  
The difficulty you have may be related to the timestep you've choosen to be too big . 16000 seconds is about 5 hours . For this application my suggestion is a timestep of about 1024...seconds.  
Running forwards and backwards should normally result in getting to the same position as the starting position .

tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 06/08/08 at 12:32:42

Thanks again, I'd started playing with onlyplanets.gsim at a faster rate so I'll try your time interval suggestion.  

update: Looking good, the discrepancies have all but disappeared. Fantastic software!!

Thanks a million for your help Frank, and to Tony for his software!

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - 06/08/08 at 13:33:26

I think that Ceres contains more than half the mass of the asteroid belt, so it might not be as easy as assuming they average to 0.  Perhaps contain the 5 most massive asteroids, and then you can more confidently assume that the rest average to 0.

Regardless, the asteroids effect will be small with Jupiter and friends in the simulation.

I just simulated from 2085 to 2134 to compare to the graph you linked to.  This is the rightmost image on the top row from your link.  My results look identical.
http://orbitsimulator.com/gravity/images/ssbc.GIF

I'll sent you a procedure later on how to do this.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 06/08/08 at 13:41:32

Tony, many thanks for your input. I've got the same result now, albeit rotated 90 degrees CW.

Are the asteroids included in the planetsonly.gsim or should I be using the fullsystem.gsim and eliminating the objects I don't need to give my cpu an easier life? As you say, their effect is very small compaared to the gas giants, and our result looks identical to charvatova's now, so perhaps planetsonly is good enough for the job.

Now to try to get the output file right for the graphing I need to do...  undecided

tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 06/08/08 at 14:26:09

OK, all the exported data is open in excel in reasonable order, each line starts with a date, and all the planetary data is nicely columnised. The sun seems to have a lot of zeros though, so I'm assuming the barycentric offset is contained in the other planet's data.  Cheesy

I'm a bit of a dunce so I need a hint as to how I can extract a monthly value for sun-earth seperation distance from this.  Shocked

is there a list of what each column represents anywhere? I guess it's a polar coordinates and pythagoras job?

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #12 - 06/08/08 at 15:16:07

The first line should content something as :  
"Date ,Planet , Rx,Ry,Rz,Vx,Vy,Vz,Planet2,Rx,Ry, Rz...."
Then applying Pytha gives : dist : sqrt( (x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2+(z2-z1)^2) .

tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 06/08/08 at 15:24:56

Thanks again for your help today Frank. My local time is half past late now, so I'll sleep on the info, but I think I will be able to get my head round it tomorrow.  

I seem to remember a joke which tells how the son of the squaw on the hippopotomus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides so I should be ok.  Wink

tallbloke
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 06/09/08 at 00:50:12

Still confused here. Each body has 12 columns of data rather than 6. I couldn't find a way to only select the sun and earth and the positions only in the output file dialogue as Frank recommended in post #3. For example, for the date   1949 06 04   08 53 20      I get:

Sun      90673943.14      1      12.27905629      12.12222472      54.08633076      1.44E-08      -1.00454E+11      -1.20057E+12      12495684887      -11.99920675      -14.61436072      0.364674531            

Earth      149753944.4      4.67E-02      0.500939501      172.5871892      163.899023      52.24387224      -1.38226E+11      -1.05146E+12      11334720955      -28347.65866      -6056.291874      119.8243351

Assuming the last 3 columns are the positional data and applying franks formula in excel like this:
=SQRT(ABS((Z1-L1)^2+(AA1-K1)^2+(AB1-M1)^2))
I'm getting a result of 12495690944 for this first line of data.
The rest of the values in my monthly series from 1949 to 2057 gradually increase to 12982919059. Wheras I expected to see them rise and fall by 1% or so each decade.
All the reast of the lines of data have the following columns after the sun:
Sun      0      0      0      0      180      180

The average sun-earth seperation is just under 150million km, which seems to be reflected in the first data column after the planet name, and the barycentric oscillation should change this by up to 700,000km or so unless I misunderstand the physics, which is entirely possible.

It looks like I fouled up somewhere.  Sad

Sorry to be nagging for help.  embarrassed

« Last Edit: 06/09/08 at 09:45:04 by tallbloke »  
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print