Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 10:07:56
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black hole invasion in the solar system (Read 1508 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Black hole invasion in the solar system
05/03/08 at 12:33:47

Don't panic --- This is highly hypothetical !  
In the Baut forum there's nowadays a topic about the recently discoverd black hole kicked off from its galaxy .  
Some members were anxious to see a simulation of what might happen in case the BH would approach our solar system .
 Here's the setup :  

1 black hole , having 100 millions sol masses , moving toward us with an incredible velocity of 2700 km/s . Originally positioned at 1000 AU above our "heads" , but also 100 AU at the "left" , but nevertheless heading for the solarsystem . I used the downloadable Solarsystem , deleted all but the planets and created a BH with the given parameters.  
For those who want to play with it : here's the code .
« Last Edit: 05/03/08 at 14:47:27 by frankuitaalst »  
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Black hole invasion in the solar system
Reply #1 - 05/03/08 at 12:48:26

And here's the result of the simulation of this monster , having about one thousand of the Milky Way galaxys mass :  
Simulation is viewed from above , looking on the ecliptic plane .  
Due to the genourmeous sucking of the black hole the outer planets' orbits "schrink " as they are attracted by the black hole above the ecliptic.  
The BH was given an event horizon of 2AU ! . For simplicity the diameter corresponds with the event horizon , meaning that everything coming close would be absorbed .  
The result is a real disaster for the solar system .  
One by one the outer planets enter the event horizon . Then comes the sun with the inner planets getting absorbed.  
Jupiter and Saturn seem to escape for a while , but they too disappear forever .  
The whole scene takes less than a year .  
I'll post also some velocity and acceleration curves later on .  
PS: Running the simulation I saw that the relative velocities were more than c at the end of the simulation . So ... Huh join MaxPlanck instute ... Wink
« Last Edit: 05/03/08 at 14:45:51 by frankuitaalst »  

SolarsystemplusBHpolar100MioSuns.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print