Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 19:41:06
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gravity in 3d (Read 12019 times)
ssc4k
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Gravity in 3d
04/10/08 at 13:42:36

i found a nice applet http://www.arachnoid.com/dark_energy/space_applet.html and i thought how nice it would be if a similar feature could be added so you could switch from 3d to 2d modes in th program. unfortuanatly i dont have 3d glasses and cant find a red and clear plastic so i dont know how good it looks but i imagine it would be a great option to have.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Gravity in 3d
Reply #1 - 04/10/08 at 13:48:33

I actually played around with that a while ago, but it wasn't very impressive.  Thanks for the link.  I may re-visit that idea one day, because it's a great way to view the 3rd dimension.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ssc4k
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/10/08 at 13:51:36

anyone know what in a house would be good for making 3d glasses? i erally want to see the circles go in and out ;P. and does anyone know what formula a program uses to make things 3d at different positions?

View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #3 - 04/10/08 at 13:51:46

Quote from ssc4k on 04/10/08 at 13:42:36:
i found a nice applet http://www.arachnoid.com/dark_energy/space_applet.html and i thought how nice it would be if a similar feature could be added so you could switch from 3d to 2d modes in th program. unfortuanatly i dont have 3d glasses and cant find a red and clear plastic so i dont know how good it looks but i imagine it would be a great option to have.

I think we must be part of a medium  Shocked
Since a couple of days I was thinking about such a thing to do with simulation . There's a lot of math needed to do so , but in theory this should be possible . It's not that difficult . I also don't have 3D glasses , but I think the result must be ...fantastic ...

Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 04/12/08 at 03:06:04

Quote from ssc4k on 04/10/08 at 13:51:36:
anyone know what in a house would be good for making 3d glasses? i erally want to see the circles go in and out ;P. and does anyone know what formula a program uses to make things 3d at different positions?

Best thing seems to be transparant sheets in red for the left eye and cyan sheets for the right . Didn't find them myself . Tried with colored baloons in the right color , but nopes they absorb to much light . Some astronomical organisations provide 3Dglasses for their members . Another way to get them is going to a 3D movie where they give them to the audience ...In my town there's currently the 3D Movie U23D on programm . Think I'll have a look  Smiley

Concerning the method for generating 3D pictures : here's the method that can be used :  
Sight is towards a focus : F  
The 3D projection ( screen ) is at distance Ys  
Both eyes are a distance "a" out of the center .  

PictureFormula3D.jpg
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 04/12/08 at 03:09:31

After some math ( projection) the screen coordinates may be obtained using the following formulas .  
These formulas are simple .  
The hardest thing is to get out of a scene the "line of sight " ie . transforming the coordinates so that a focus is in the middle of a picture .  

Formulas3D.jpg
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 04/12/08 at 09:51:09

The 3-d glasses they give you at the theater are usually polarized ones, not colored ones.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #7 - 04/12/08 at 14:39:30

Quote from Tony on 04/12/08 at 09:51:09:
The 3-d glasses they give you at the theater are usually polarized ones, not colored ones.
The picture was wonderful , but you're right . No fun with this glasses on the PCscreen embarrassed

ssc4k
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/15/08 at 12:27:52

i found 3d glasses got everything but that simulation to work lol
any reasons why only it wouldnt work?  

ps its great for viewing hypercubes

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 04/15/08 at 12:51:28

Conceptually 3D with red and blue filters is pretty easy to do.

With a camera setup that's looking toward a specific body, you color everything red and draw the scene. Then you move the camera over to the right and repoint it toward the same body, color everything blue and draw the scene again. Where the red and blue overlap should be purple or white (so you can see that color through both lenses. You move the camera back to the left and start again.

The specific body that you're focused on will be a single purple or white dot. Objects closer that the focus will be a blue dot on the left and a red dot on the right. Objects further will be reversed with a red dot on the left and a blue dot on the right. The distance between the two dots gives you an indication of how far they are from the focus point and tricks your mind into  sensing depth where none exists.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - 04/15/08 at 15:50:23

I tried that once, making a stand-alone program just to play with the dots, and it wasn't very impressive.  I might have used the wrong shade of blue or red. I can't find any 3-d now.  Maybe I'll send away for some and play with this again.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #11 - 04/16/08 at 07:35:08

Hi Tony , what kind of glasses do you use ? ,( red / green , blue or cyan ) ?  You mention the 3D view is not fantastic . Is this related to color of the picture you view at or to the lack of "depth" ?  
I think the depth impression can be sharpened if the parallax between the two eyes is increased . For instance looking at Mars' I can imagine one needs a parallax of about the moons distance .

ssc4k
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 04/17/08 at 12:00:24

if you increase the distance between the red blue then sometimes if tere are alot of objects or if the object is to complicated it will switch fro 3d to normal depending how hard you focus

View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Gravity in 3d : Mars Trojans
Reply #13 - 05/27/08 at 09:23:24

Cool: If you have red/blue or red/cyan glasses then the following animation may give a sense of depth perception .  
Animated are the orbits of two Mars Trojans : Eureka and 1998VF31. Eureke is the one performing an "8" figure .  
Viewpoint is Sun . Mars is kept on the center of the screen . The full animation covers 1.88 years in steps of 0.05 years .  
One can see Eureka come out of the screen and receding again . The companion has a more complex orbit and has it nearest point somewhere in the middle of the animation .  

Recommendation : download the picture , open it with Windows viewer and view it in rather dark circomstances at about 30-50 cm . Its almost possible to "grab" the asteroids on my screen . Would be interesting to know how the animation performs on other screens . Do the glasses dissolve the two colors up to white ?

2MarsTrojans3D.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Gravity in 3d: outpost Pluto
Reply #14 - 05/27/08 at 10:18:56

Cool Pluto is a wonderful outpost in our solar system , as it has a highly inclinated orbit . Viewing from Pluto is as looking somewhat down or up towards our solar system , which increases the sense of depth ..
Heres an anaglyph simulation of two Trojans of Mars : Eureka and 1998VF31.  
Simulation runs for 20 years , each screenshot represents 1.88 years .  
Mars is at the center of the screen .  
In this kind of view it looks as if the Trojans really orbit Mars ! The change of the orbits af the asteroids is due to the change of their proper orbit , but also due to the motion of Pluto .  

Same recommandations for viewing as above .

2MarsTrojansfromPluto3D.gif
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print