Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/20/17 at 05:47:43
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird things happend when changing color of object (Read 3926 times)
Thagur
Uploader

Weird things happend when changing color of object
03/24/08 at 07:46:06

Hello!

This is great software!

I created a sim with Sun, Earth and Moon. I added a sattelite to earth. It orbited around happily. But then I found out that earth had the wrong color. It was red. So I changed it to blue. But, when I started the simulation after changing the color, both the sattelite and the moon was sucked into earth... (LOL) And earths orbit around sun changed drastically. What might have happened?

Explanation for the image: This is another simulation, with other things happening, but I just changed earths color here too. The blue dot in the center is earth, the white dot is the sattelite, and the gray dot is moon. As you can see, moons orbit is VERY unstable in a stable way. I'm letting the sim run for a while, just to see what funny things might happend.

weird.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Weird things happend when changing color of ob
Reply #1 - 03/24/08 at 11:18:13

It sounds like you accidently altered the Earth's mass.  I change colors all the time with no ill effect.  The code that changes an object's color does not effect anything else.  See if you can reproduce the error.  Also, are you using version 2.0, or the latest beta version?

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Thagur
Uploader

Reply #2 - 03/24/08 at 11:34:00

Update..

I have successfully recreated the error. But this time without the sattelite. Screenshots should explain.

And I am using the Jan 2008 beta.

before.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Thagur
Uploader

Reply #3 - 03/24/08 at 11:39:00

After... I cant figure out how to add two pictures in same post...

after.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 03/24/08 at 14:03:35

That's weird . I did this  already a hundred times , without problem . And tried it again : no problem .  
After a second attempt starting Beta20Jan2008 and loading a file and modifying 1 color I got another orbit .... Sad . I don't understand . I didn't change anything else...I'll send both copys to Tony .

Email View Profile   IP Logged
APODman
Uploader

Reply #5 - 03/24/08 at 15:25:35

I have the same problem in another kind of alteration.

I use the fullsystem file to include a massive body ( a planet ) with a high eccentricity with aphelium outside the orbit of Pluto and perielieum inside orbit of Venus.

With all objetcs of the fullsystem file the planet execute the orbit for hundred years, but if I exclude all bodies, to only observe the evolution of the orbit of the planet without change the values of the planet, than the planet don´t execute your orbit, it only folowing a streight path until ejected of the system.

So many time I repeat the deletions of the anothers bodies of the system so many times the planet scape.

Did I something wrong or it´s a bug ?  

note: I use the Beta20Jan2008 version.

[ ]´s

The diversity of the phenomena of nature is so great,and the treasures hidden in the heavens so rich,precisely in order that the human mind shall never be lacking in fresh nourishment.
Kepler
View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 03/24/08 at 15:36:38

Here's my effort to reproduce the error.  There are screen shots showing each step:

1.  Create a new file:  File > New
2. Change the name, size and mass to Earth's values:  Objects > Edit Objects
3. Zoom in to 936443 km to see the red Earth.
4. Create a massless test particle around Earth:  Objects > Create Objects.  >Semi-major axis: 100000 km
5.  The new object is in a circular orbit with a radius of 100000 km
6.  Change Earth's color to blue:  Objects > Edit Objects, press "choose color...", choose blue, and press ok.
7.  Earth's color changes to blue on the Edit Objects interface.  Press OK again.
8.  The test particle now orbits a blue Earth, as expected.

I could not reproduce the bug  Huh

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #7 - 04/27/08 at 02:25:21

I think I've found the "bug" .  
Hasn't anything to do with GravSim but must be related to the way Windows interpretes data , which have a different format ...among countries .  

Try this : goto Start > Configuration Screen> Select Country or Land Settings and change your settings to English (US) .  
Works fine on my PC , the "bugs" are gone , also the difficulties with "changing sign" don't appear anymore .  
I think this problem relates to countries outside US .  
Frank- Belgium  

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print