Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/19/17 at 08:19:33
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gravity field representation (Read 2403 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Gravity field representation
02/17/08 at 22:53:58

Wondering how the gravity field of our solar system looks like ?  
The picture hereunder represents the gravity potential of the 2 major bodies of our solar system  : Sun and Jupiter .  
Instead of using isogravity lines , colors were used to indicate the gravity potential .  
Strong potential is represented by red , weak potential by green . The intermediate colors (mixture of red and green ) were calculated by interpolation.  
The potential representation is not done linearly , as due to the hughe field of the sun the picture would appear  as a red circle around the sun , immediately surrounded by a green plane . Instead a smoothtening function of power 10 was used in order to be able to represent the intermediate values .  
Earth is also represented in this picture , but it isn't visible due to the overwhelming field of the sun.  
The values represent the potential in Joule  1 kg of matter has.    

GravityfieldSunJup.JPG
Email View Profile   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Re: Gravity field representation
Reply #1 - 02/19/08 at 20:33:44

Nifty! What are the white dots near the sun though? There's too many to be the inner planets.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 02/19/08 at 22:40:46

I used a program which colors each pixel in the screen with the appropriate color . I think a couple of pixels are bad on my screen and are not colored . No planets .

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #3 - 02/20/08 at 00:41:57

I wonder if it's possible to find some way of doing something like this to show the Lagrange points, or the potential in the system.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 02/20/08 at 10:08:13

Smiley Yeah , thats the reason why I tried this representation. I'll try to modify the snsitivity to show this area , but I'm afraid the variation of the field is to small to get it on the screen properly .

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 02/20/08 at 10:45:17

Herunder is the screenshot of the Sun-Jupiter potential in a higher sensitivity than above.  
As expected the Lagrange point L4 and L5 don't come out in this picture as the variation is to small.  
I guess the only method to represent this is to draw isopotential lines around them .

GravpotsunJup2.JPG
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #6 - 02/24/08 at 04:51:48

A nice representation of the L4 and L5 can be found on the good old wikipedia :  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point
I guess this plot was created with an exagerated M2 to M1 ratio , as I don't get any resolution of the L4 and L5 point with present mass ratio's .  
Picture herunder gives of the potiential field in case of a Jupiter planet of 0.1 solar masses .  
Picture was created with Surf3D software ( freeware ) . Also in this picture the L4 and L5 points don't resolve .

Pot01.JPG
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print