Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/20/17 at 09:12:55
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Go Go Gravity!!! (Read 1329 times)
RalofTyr
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Go Go Gravity!!!
01/14/08 at 14:54:00

I really like this program and I think it has a lot of potential in unlocking the possibility of terrestrial extra solar worlds.   However, I am having trouble understanding the program...and I work 12 hour days.  Is there a tutorial?  

I know someone has already plugged in the data, so I will ask a few questions.

Can a terrestrial system, like ours, orbit an Alpha Centauri/26 Draconis system?

Can a terrestrial world exist in E. Eridandi's and 70 Virginis' greenbelt?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Go Go Gravity!!!
Reply #1 - 01/17/08 at 06:21:51

Quote from RalofTyr on 01/14/08 at 14:54:00:
I really like this program and I think it has a lot of potential in unlocking the possibility of terrestrial extra solar worlds.   However, I am having trouble understanding the program...and I work 12 hour days.  Is there a tutorial?

I know someone has already plugged in the data, so I will ask a few questions.

Can a terrestrial system, like ours, orbit an Alpha Centauri/26 Draconis system?

Can a terrestrial world exist in E. Eridandi's and 70 Virginis' greenbelt?

If you go to the Help menu and choose the online help, you'll get some instructions.  And of course this forum is your place to ask questions.

There's an Alpha Centauri thread somewhere on this forum.  I made a simulation where I put our inner planets (Mercury-Mars) around both Alpha Centauri A and B.  I'm not sure if I uploaded it though.  I'm in New Zealand at the moment, so if I haven't, I'll upload it when I return to the States.  (Being in New Zealand gives me the chance to see the real Alpha Centauri system.  I hope these clouds go away!)

Or, since you want to get better at using Gravity Simulator, you could create your own.  To create your own terrestial planets around the Alpha Centauri stars:

File > New
Objects > Edit Objects
  Change name from Object1 to Alpha Centauri A
  Change mass to 1.05 solar masses (This is off the top of my head, so look up Alpha Centauri on Wikipedia to get the actual mass).
  Change color to Yellow.
Objects > Create Objects
   Name: Alpha Centauri B
   Color : Yellow
   Size : 1 solar diameter
   Mass: 0.95 solar masses (again, look it up)
   Orbital elements:  Look up SMA and Ecc from Wikipedia.  Make Inclination 0 +/- 0%.  Leave the others at their defaults.
Objects > Create Objects
  Now start making planets.  You can copy our solar system if you like.  Just look up a table of orbital elements on Wikipedia or other source.

This should get you started.  If you like, instead of giving Alpha Centauri B an inclination of 0, try some different values, but always leave the planets inclinations at or near 0.  You'll notice that if Alpha Centauri's inclination exceeds about 30 or 40 degrees that the planets become unstable.  This is from the Kozai mechanism.  There's some good discussions of Kozai in this forum.

Good luck, and ask questions if you need to.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print