Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/23/17 at 08:58:58
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Libration on tidelocked planets (Read 8079 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Re: Libration on tidelocked planets
Reply #15 - 09/16/07 at 17:57:21

huh. that's handy. When did amazon start doing that?!

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #16 - 09/16/07 at 20:12:50

I don't know.  I didn't feel like looking for my copy of SSD, so I just Googled for "synchronous rotation empty focus" and that popped up.  I was surprised too.  Grin

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #17 - 09/19/07 at 13:02:37

It seems to be possible to derive a formula , altough approximative to second order ...(M&D pg 44)
Using the formulas of M&D in the pages 38-44 one can derive the "delta" angle if the anomaly (f) or the eccentric anomly (E) is known  
Derivation is shown in annex .  

This formula works under the assumption that the planet always is directed to the empty focus , so the angle under which the sun is seen must be "delta" .  
Plugging this values into excel one can hardly distinguish the "delta" from a sine for eccentricities up to 0.25 ( Pluto ) .  
( Help : isn't it possible to reduce the size of the picture here?)  

ellips.jpg
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #18 - 09/21/07 at 10:04:11

Applying the above formulas gives the following plot ...
In abscis the E - value ( eccentric anomaly in radians) , in ordinate the longitude in degrees under which the sun is seen from the eccentric moving tital locked planet .  
The plot was generated for ascending values of eccentricity starting with 0.0 ....to 0.9 with steps of 0.1.  
The last picture shows the plot for e=0.95.

Longitude_vs_ecc.gif
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - 09/21/07 at 10:20:51

That's interesting how it deviates from a pure sine wave.

Is this mean longitude or true longitude?

What does the y-axis represent?  Is that time?  Does this represent 1 complete orbit?

0.0 to 0.9 step 0.1 = 0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9
I can see 10 frames in the animation.  Where does 0.95 come from?

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #20 - 09/21/07 at 10:25:06

Quote from Tony on 09/21/07 at 10:20:51:
That's interesting how it deviates from a pure sine wave.
Is this mean longitude or true longitude?
What does the y-axis represent?  Is that time?  Does this represent 1 complete orbit?
0.0 to 0.9 step 0.1 = 0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9
I can see 10 frames in the animation.  Where does 0.95 come from?

The longitude is the angle of view ( see delta) in the formula , or the angle as seen from the planet between the focus and the empty focus .  
This is the y-axis , in degrees .  
I have 10 values :  0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9 and 0.95.  
The x-axis is the eccentric anomaly , somewhat more than one orbit ( one orbit = 6.28 )  

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #21 - 10/10/07 at 14:42:19

Quote from Tony on 09/16/07 at 14:13:55:
Quote from frankuitaalst on 09/16/07 at 13:36:17:
You're right !
Is really amazing ! Is this geometrically correct if you draw lines to the focus ?  

I printed the picture and tried that.  It's close but not perfect.  But I manually pieced together the image, so I wouldn't expect it to be perfect.

Quoting myself  Roll Eyes

It turns out it is not quite perfect as Grant pointed out in the BAUT thread: http://www.bautforum.com/questions-answers/64727-tidelocked-planets-libration-cr eating-day-night-cycles.html#post1084211 .  I made a new image to verify.  I used Gravity Simulator to take a screen shot every 1/12th of an orbital period for an e=0.8 orbit.  Then I photoshopped in the two-tone balls, rotating them 30 degrees each time, and drawing a line perpendicular to their hemisphere dividing line.  They don't all point to the empty focus, but they're close.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #22 - 10/10/07 at 14:51:27

Yes , the statement  that one side is always directed towards the empty focus is true as a first order approximation ( Murray&Dermot says ).  
 If also the higher order of e ( ie e^2...) are taken into consideration the statement is not true anymore .  
That's a pitty .  Sad
In the other case it would have as a consquence that the position of a planet could be calculated pure from geometrics .  
BTW : the evolution I pictured in the previous post is also of first order ( ie . +/-exact for small e ).  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print