Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 04:15:54
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I saw the ISS and space shuttle tonight (Read 1824 times)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

I saw the ISS and space shuttle tonight
08/20/07 at 22:37:09

http://heavens-above.com is an awesome website.  It tells you where and when to look for the ISS and the shuttle.

Tonight, around 9:30, the ISS appeared out of the northwest sky, followed by the space shuttle.  Just when they reached the peak of their brightnesses, they disappeared into the Earth's shadow.  Very awesome.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Re: I saw the ISS and space shuttle tonight
Reply #1 - 08/21/07 at 00:43:32

I saw them last week while at the observatory here - and also saw them disappear! I guessed they must have gone into the Earth's shadow, but they disappeared rather abruptly about 2/3rds of the way in their path across the sky, was most off-putting!  

I could have sworn when they were right overhead that I saw a tiny dot attached to the main dazzling light that was the station itself. Could that have been the shuttle? Or just my imagination?

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: I saw the ISS and space shuttle tonight
Reply #2 - 08/21/07 at 01:07:47

You probably saw a solar panel.  In 10x50 binoculars I can see what appears to be 2 connected dots.  Check out the BAUT forum on the Astrophotography page.  Someone snapped some really nice pictures.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print