Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 09:20:17
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Disturbing Function? (Read 2616 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

The Disturbing Function?
08/19/07 at 17:22:03

I'm guessing that several folks here have Murray and Dermott's Solar System Dynamics book... I'm just wondering if anyone understands how the Disturbing Function that is described in it works. I've never been able to get my head around it at all.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: The Disturbing Function?
Reply #1 - 08/20/07 at 17:03:24

13 views and no replies.  That's disturbing  Shocked

I wish I could help you, but there's a reason I prefer numerical methods  Wink

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #2 - 08/20/07 at 17:32:31

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that people here of all places might have some clue how to use it... but I guess you guys find out stuff by directly modelling it Wink

It's really dense stuff, full of series expansions, but section 6.7 in the book (p248) is about "Use of the Disturbing Function". It gives 9 steps for how to use it, but I'm blowed if I can even understand how to figure out the first step - it helpfully says "Decide which combination of angles is applicable to the problem at hand", and then points you to section 6.9 to figure that out... which is similarly incomprehensible.  

I'm sure it's useful somehow, but it's way over my head. And I did the course that the book was based on while at QMW and didn't understand it then either! Sad

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 08/20/07 at 21:11:03

Quote from Mal on 08/20/07 at 17:32:31:
... but I guess you guys find out stuff by directly modelling it Wink

Us guys?  Don't try to distance yourself from us with your 181 posts.  It's too late.  You're one of us now.  Grin

If it makes you feel any better, next year I may take a course at UC Berkeley by Eugene Chiang.  Solar System Dynamics is the textbook for the course.  I just need to take Calc III first so I don't get too lost.

When I look at my copy of the book, it's beat up, wrinkled, it looks like I took it camping for a year and slept with it.  It's one of my favorite books ever, which is kinda strange considering I understand about 10% of it.

But it's fun using Gravity Simulator to recreate some of the things they talk about.  Recreating the concepts without understanding the math can be gratifying.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #4 - 08/20/07 at 21:28:02

Hehe, same here really. My book's not so much bashed up as full of scribbled notes and bookmarks! My understanding goes as far as understanding the two-body stuff, and the tidal stuff. Everything else goes over my head, though I can get some of it qualitatively at least. Didn't help that I did the MSc that the SSD course was part of (taught by Carl Murray, incidentally) with absolutely no relevant maths background beyond 1st year university maths (basic calculus was about all I could handle) - all that series expansion and vector calculus went waaaay over my head. Still, it is one of my most referred to text-books Smiley.  

And I'm really nowhere in the league of you and Frank when it comes to playing with GravSim. I don't even understand half the stuff that Frank comes up with, all I know is that it makes pretty patterns! I just use gravity simulator to test out the systems I make for Traveller Smiley

(formerly known as Mal)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 08/21/07 at 08:51:10

[quote author=Mal link=1187569323/0#4 date=1187670482] I don't even understand half the stuff that Frank comes up with....quote]
I think I have to have a course in English I guess .  embarrassed
By the way : I don't know/have the book but it seems to be interesting . Is it possible to provide me with a legal copy of the pages mentionned above ?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #6 - 08/21/07 at 20:51:11

Quote from frankuitaalst on 08/21/07 at 08:51:10:

I think I have to have a course in English I guess . embarrassed

Oh, your english is fine, that's not what I have trouble understanding Smiley. It's just that I look at your amazing animations and don't have a clue what I'm looking at! Wink

Quote:
By the way : I don't know/have the book but it seems to be interesting . Is it possible to provide me with a legal copy of the pages mentionned above ?

You're in Germany, aren't you? You can find it on amazon.de

EDIT: oops, never mind, you're in belgium. Still, amazon.de is probably the most european Amazon isn't it?

(formerly known as Mal)
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print