Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/20/17 at 07:41:47
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Chasing suns ... (Read 33602 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Chasing suns ...
Reply #30 - 06/23/07 at 10:38:31

On the edge of stability :
Adding a velocity component on the Figure 8 in the z-direction gives separate orbits for the 3 bodies . They seem to follow each of them their own path within the "8" . This run hereunder is about the maximum the system can hold . Increasing the z-velocity a little bit more makes the bodies to leave their path .
BTW : running the Figure 8 centered on 1 planet gives an amazing figure . The other planets do not move in a closed path but follow a curved line from left to right and reverse , following the same line...

Figure8z.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #31 - 06/24/07 at 11:39:47

An interesting feature of the figure 8 arises when small masses are added in a polar orbit . A Kozai mechanism seems to be created this way .  
In the sim hereunder 2 small masses were added to the system , each in a polar orbit ( mass =0.01 original) , distance = 10* radius of the system .  
The masses can be seen as the green lines as they cross in front or behind .  
The 8 system starts to oscillate for a while and then gets inclined also , coming in a sort of polar orbit itself .  
The change of inclination can best be seen in the z-frame .

Figure8polar.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #32 - 06/30/07 at 10:53:11

In an article "New Periodic Orbits for the n-Body Problem" by Prof Cristopher Moore I found the initial coordinates for a 3 body choreography called the Criss-Cross .  
After scaling the conditions to real world dimensions of a solar system this may be an initial set :  
Mass : 5.9736e+24
"Rx Ry Rz Vx Vy Vz of planets"
"E1", 1.61385E+10,0,0,0,3.1802e+01,0
"E2", -1.06425E+09,0,0,0,-2.00810e+02,0
"E3", -1.50744E+10,0,0,0,1.69008e+02,0
This means : 3 Earth planets about 0.2 AU distance.. Note that all planets start at the X-axes and have initial vertical  velocities .  
Here's the animated gif . The period is ca. 18 years .  
The system seems to be stable , according to the article.
It's amazing that one planet almost has a circular orbit , while the others have a very weird orbit .  

If one intends to scale the system with other distances or mass this can be done as following :  
Multiply the distances fi. with factor a . Multiply the masses with factor b. The velocities then should be multiplied by factor sqrt (b/a).  

CrissCross.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #33 - 06/30/07 at 11:26:48

Adding a velocity component in the z-direction of 3m/s (10% of the original ) for the both outer planets , in order to check the stability , gives also a stable system and starts to rotate .

CrissCrossz.gif
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #34 - 06/30/07 at 11:29:53

very neat stuff, Frank  Shocked

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - 06/30/07 at 12:18:59

I set this up using your numbers:
http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/simulations/crisscross.gsim

It's amazing that this is stable.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #36 - 06/30/07 at 12:23:00

This was quickly done !  Smiley. May be interesting to play with it changing the params slightly off or adding a small body somewhere.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #37 - 06/30/07 at 14:41:56

Plotting the velocities and the SMA of this remarkable system gives the following pictures .
The total absolute velocity ( and hence the kinetic energy ) is almost constant , as well as the velocity of the third body which is close to a circular orbit .

CrissCrossvelocity.gif
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #38 - 06/30/07 at 15:54:35

Wow  Shocked  

These wacky orbits are just amazing... they can't occur naturally though can they? I can't imagine how unlikely it must be to just happen to get planets orbiting like this.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #39 - 06/30/07 at 16:59:59

These are merely inventions of mathematicians... I don't know if they exist somewhere in the real world .  
Another example ( and this is really a beauty  ... Tongue  Tongue) comes from the work of Chen "Action minimizing periodic ...solutions in the N-Body problem " who gives the unit initial conditions in his work .  
Herunder is a sim of 3 equal Earth masses. I put them at ca. 10 E+9 meters .  
The system seems to be stable ! , although I notice a small rotation ( perhaps due to round off as the initial values have only 4 significant numbers ) . I'll post the initial conditions seperately ...

Chen3.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #40 - 06/30/07 at 17:18:46

The initial values of the flower pattern of Chen are :  
Mass : 5.9736e+24
"Rx Ry Rz Vx Vy Vz of planets"
"E1", 8.682e+9,0,0,0,-8.49456e+1,0
"E2", 2.106e+9,0,0,0,2.70144e+2,0
"E3", -1.0788e+10,0,0,0,-1.85198e+2,0
By curiosity I made a screenshot of this system , centered on the last planet ...

Chen3centered.gif
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #41 - 06/30/07 at 17:43:06

These are amazing.  But as Frank and Mal have figured out, they're unlikely to occure in real life as the planets must be perfectly equal in mass.

I set up the one you call "a beauty".  Here it is:

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/simulations/beauty.gsim

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #42 - 06/30/07 at 18:09:06

Thanks for the set-up . I tried a rotating frame but somehow I got a "zero" as rotating period . Is it possible that Gravsim needs a central mass to calculate the orbit period ?
Concerning the equallity of masses : in the article of Chen there are some patterns for different masses in the range of 1...10.  
I don't know if the orbits are stable . Will soon try to create some .  
But these mathematicians really try hard ( I think sometimes by trial and error ) to create such a system , so I think the chances are very very small that such a system can exist , I mean has naturally evolved . The deviations from the positions , velocities and mass ratios must be really small in order to get a stable system .  
What kind of process in the universe can fi. create three almost equal masses at an appropriate distance and the right velocities ?  

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #43 - 06/30/07 at 18:17:53

Yes, Gravity Simulator is expecting some sort of a central mass so it can compute a semi-major axis and hence a period.  You can set the period if you want by timing how long the system takes to do 1 loop and entering this in seconds into the rotating period box.

Keep 'em coming.  These are fun.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #44 - 07/01/07 at 02:42:26

The flower pattern of Chen for 3 planets as above , and in a rotating frame with the last planet ( the circular orbiting one ) gives the following unexpected picture :
Both other planets follow in this frame the same circular orbit .  
The last planet stays fixed near the left side of the picture (not visible due to resizing ).  

All of the systems described above have a centre of gravity at 0,0,0 . This means that the orbital period can be calculated , by lack of a central planet , around a virtual fixed point at 0,0,0.

Chen3RotFrame3.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print