Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 09:19:45
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Real time rotation? (Read 2548 times)
looseskrewz
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Real time rotation?
05/04/07 at 22:37:43

How much of a pain in the butt would it be to add a mouse-drag type rotation?

...click the mouse and drag in a direction to rotate the scene in real time...or at least while the scene is on pause.

That would be a great feature.

Some people are more visual than numerical. (clears throat)

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Real time rotation?
Reply #1 - 05/05/07 at 01:17:42

Quote from looseskrewz on 05/04/07 at 22:37:43:
How much of a pain in the butt would it be...

I would be a pain in the butt, but...

click the mouse and drag in a direction to rotate the scene in real time

In the beta version you can choose your rotating frame rate by choosing an object from the dropdown list, and it will set the rotating frame period to the orbital period of the selected object.

Then, since this is only a good estimate, you can use the calibrate button on the menu option to home-in on the precise period.

To use this:

Open the "Rotating Frame Adjustment" interface by  "View> Rotating Frame Adjustment"
Press the Calibrate button once.  The mouse icon will change to "crosshairs" when you drag it over the simulation.  Click on the object you want to hold stationary.

Wait... the longer, the better.  When the object you want to hold stationary drifts an appreciable amount, click it again.  Your 2 clicks will tell Gravity Simulator how much the frame is drifting, and it will adjust accordingly.  After clicking the object for the 2nd time, your mouse icon will change back to normal.

Some people are more visual than numerical. (clears throat)

Me too.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
looseskrewz
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/05/07 at 09:00:37

I have a problem clicking on the object that I want seeing that it is travelling so fast.
Is there something I am missing?

Another example of what I meant is if the window slider on the right hand side updated as you pulled it, not only when you let go.

...and one on the bottom from left to right also.

...an example of the mouse thing I'm talking about would be similar to Gravit, if your familiar.
Where as you drag the mouse, you get a sort of 3D view of your work.

http://gravit.slowchop.com/

or a better example: Gravity3D - which can be found here:

http://www.mars3d.com/PWGravity3D.htm

These are decent programs, visually, but I don't think that the particles interact with each other...only a central gravity point.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 05/05/07 at 12:07:56

Quote from looseskrewz on 05/05/07 at 09:00:37:
Another example of what I meant is if the window slider on the right hand side updated as you pulled it, not only when you let go.

Because of the type of graphics used by Gravity Simulator, I can not do this.  This would require drawing Kelperian ellipses.  Gravity Simulator only draws what it simulates.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
looseskrewz
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/05/07 at 13:56:16

OK got it

Thanks Tony

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print