Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 11:47:54
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Discovery: New Planet Could Harbor Water and Life (Read 10794 times)
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Discovery: New Planet Could Harbor Water and Life
04/24/07 at 14:52:04

This deserved it's own topic  Smiley

source:http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070424_hab_exoplanet.html
By Ker Than
Staff Writer for Space.com
posted: 24 April 2007
04:23 pm ET

An Earth-like planet spotted outside our solar system is the first found that could support liquid water and harbor life, scientists announced today.  

Liquid water is a key ingredient for life as we know it. The newfound planet is located at the "Goldilocks" distance—not too close and not too far from its star to keep water on its surface from freezing or vaporizing away.

And while astronomers are not yet able to look for signs of biology on the planet, the discovery is a milestone in planet detection and the search for extraterrestrial life, one with the potential to profoundly change our outlook on the universe.

”The goal is to find life on a planet like the Earth around a star like the Sun. This is a step in that direction,” said study leader Stephane Udry of the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland. “Each time you go one step forward you are very happy.”

The new planet is about 50 percent bigger than Earth and about five times more massive. The new “super-Earth” is called Gliese 581 C, after its star, Gliese 581, a diminutive red dwarf star located 20.5 light-years away that is about one-third as massive as the Sun.

See web article

06/19/07 It has been determined that this world would be a super venusian, however its sibling Gliese 581 d is considered a possible but would not be human habitable as it is too massive and the gravity would be too much for a human.

« Last Edit: 06/19/07 at 04:23:25 by abyssoft »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Discovery: New Planet Could Harbor Water and L
Reply #1 - 04/24/07 at 15:44:13

Wow, at 50% larger than Earth, and 5 times its mass, this planet would have over twice our surface gravity.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 04/24/07 at 15:46:58

But it would still be habitable to humans given proper atmosphere, landmass Smiley

Test have shown we could handle almost 3g and be able to function relatively normally.

Looks like we might have our first Deep Probe candidate.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 04/25/07 at 00:12:57

You can simulate this 3-planet system in Gravity Simulator:
http://orbitsimulator.com/gravity/simulations/gl581.gsim

abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 04/25/07 at 09:11:16

Little bit of an update

Before you book your extrastellar flight to 581 c, a few caveats about how alien that world probably is: Anyone sitting on the planet would get heavier quickly, and birthdays would add up fast since it orbits its star every 13 days.

Gravity is 1.6 times as strong as Earth's so a 150-pound person would feel like 240 pounds.

But oh, the view. The planet is 14 times closer to the star it orbits. Udry figures the red dwarf star would hang in the sky at a size 20 times larger than our moon. And it's likely, but still not known, that the planet doesn't rotate, so one side would always be sunlit and the other dark.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 04/25/07 at 09:50:53

Is there there still a room with a vieuw (on the sun ) ?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/17/07 at 14:45:57

New news on this it's a SETI article Grin

Planet of Promise: Small, Rocky World Could Harbor Life  
http://www.space.com/searchforlife/070517_seti_planet.html

emc2cracker
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 08/02/10 at 21:52:21

There is an episode about these discoveries on hulu, cosmic journeys I think its the 3rd to last episode something like "search for earth like planets".  Actually gliese 581 c is too close popular opinion thinks so far, I believe d is the better planet for life.  However there are huge problems, tidaly locked isn't good, red dwarfs are very unpredictable and radiation is fierce in the very very close goldi locks zone.  Yet this remains the most promising data besides the recent discovery of HUNDREDS of transit planets that we can actually analize atmosphere.

We need to already have launched a spacecraft to get there!!

Do you realize with current technology we can send spacecraft over 2% the speed of light?  Its the old orion project, actually we could have started this back in the 60's.  All you need is a pusher plate and a few nukes and you can go very very fast, some estimate we can go as fast as 5-10% the speed of light, heck even with a safe 4:1 safety factor we could do 2%.  I believe gliese 581 is like 20 light years off, but we could send a craft there and also a craft to the nearest star.

I don't see why they don't do this, I mean our little nukes aren't going to hurt space.. earth yeah sure but if nukes could hurt us from space the sun would have ruined life long ago.

But thats just my humble opinion, watch the cosmic journeys series its actually the best space show I have ever watched.  I hate how shows like "the universe" and even worse "known universe" dumb everything down... its like scientists think the people that watch that is STUPID.  Well though most of the public might need some laymans terms.. the audience of those shows definately do NOT need the idiot treatment.... we want more raw data and theory.

I want to see a show that actually challenges what we think we know as opposed to all this stupid dark matter, dark energy, and dark flow talk as if is proven science when in fact its nothing more than inventing things to make our little simulations work without having to fix the real problem which is relativity itself..... but thats off topic too far sorry.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - 08/03/10 at 11:50:52

Welcome, emc2cracker!
Thanks for the heads-up on that episode.

I think the biggest objection to using nukes in space is the chance of an accident at launch.  Didn't the Russians accidently crash something nuclear into South America a few years ago?  Of course that doesn't mean that something can't be made crash-proof.  At 10% the speed of light, it would take 48 years to receive a signal from a spacecraft visiting Alpha Centauri.  It's probably hard to motivate taxpayers and engineers to build something that wont return data while they're still alive.  And perhaps in 48 years, Earth-based telescopes will be able to outperform a very fast Alpha Cen flyby in terms of data collected.  We actually had this as a class project a few years ago.  It was our assignment to design a trip to Alpha Cen and gather data on its planetary system.  These are some of the objections we came up with.

Interesting post!  Again, welcome.

atomic7732

Kalassak, Paladin of
Storms

Reply #9 - 04/18/11 at 07:09:57

So no one's talking about the already retracted Gl 581 g?

Also I have to agree with emc2cracker... Some of those shows think the people watching don't know much... I don't really like hearing the same information I've known for years, again and again, just in a different show.

abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 04/18/11 at 13:35:30

http://www.megacountdown.net/2011/04/41711-that-is-neat-gliese-581-g.html

looks like Gl 581 g is not completely out of the running as of yet. an is still listed as unconfirmed rather then retracted.

atomic7732

Kalassak, Paladin of
Storms

Reply #11 - 04/19/11 at 07:10:42

Unconfirmed, then. It does look doubtful though.  cry

abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!