Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/24/17 at 03:21:35
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Labels choke machine (Read 2833 times)
looseskrewz
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Labels choke machine
04/24/07 at 07:21:19

I am running a sim with 500 objects in it. If I happen to be zoomed out too far (not sure how many objects in viewable area) I can turn the labels on, but I can't turn them off, or do anything else. (although the sim is still running)

If enough objects happen to leave the screen, It will 'unchoke', and I can turn the labels off and continue as normal.

Just wondering if it's my machine.

I have P4 Intel 3.2G, 1.5G ram, Nvidia 6600

Maybe need a break key or something.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Labels choke machine
Reply #1 - 04/24/07 at 08:13:31

on thing that will help is in the Preferences set the step to 1 and the redraw to between 1-10 this helped me with the same problem and my computer can now handle up to 2K objects w/o choking.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
looseskrewz
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/24/07 at 11:26:39

Thanks alot, I will try that.

What are your computer specs?

abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 04/24/07 at 14:39:12

2.6 ghz amd w/512 ram, basic SIS g3 video with shared memory architecture 32mb.  Also I host my website, forum, ftp server, sql server.

looseskrewz
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/25/07 at 03:28:42

Thanks alot, that really helped alot...hugh improvement Smiley

I don't really understand the "do events" setting though.

Can someone explain this?

Which is more accurate low number or high?

abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/25/07 at 08:55:33

DoEvents frequency determines how often the program allows baseline control to return to the Process manager.  The higher the number the less frequent the Kernel will be called and permitted to do it's normal work.

I have found that unless you are running a very small sim 20 or less objects, you will want this setting to be between 1 (for lots of objects 1000+) to 20 (medium number of objects 21-999).  The number of objects that can be handled is directly related to processor performance.

As for the Draw frequnecy preference I have found that depending on what I am wanting a setting of 1-10 works for me.  This setting lets X number of calculation cycles pass before drawing the current state on the screen.

Hope this helps

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 04/25/07 at 10:47:24

Changing this number doesn't affect the simulation's accuracy.  It only effects how jumpy your computer seems to you as you multi-task.  You are trading off speed (but not accuracy) for jumpiness.  If you set it too high, you'll be frusterated as you check your e-mail, surf the web, etc and the computer doesn't immediately respond to your keystrokes.  If you set it too low, you simulation doesn't run as fast as it could.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print