Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/19/17 at 13:41:24
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Asteroids (Read 146643 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Re: Asteroids
Reply #30 - 05/13/07 at 12:32:26

Asteroid 2006FV35 , not really big , but size over 100 meters has an orbit with period 365 days . Seems to  be a stable one . It is not mentionned (yet ) as a horse -shoe asteroid to earth as far as I know . Herunder the graph over the next 600 years .

2006FV35.gif
Email View Profile   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #31 - 05/30/07 at 12:50:40

Simulating 2006FV35 in a rotating frame aroud Earth shows that the asteroid indeed is in an Horseshoe orbit around Earth . In this frame Earth is the little green line at the left . As Earth has a slightly eccentric orbit around the sun , Earth is not represented as a dot but as a line as the distance from the sun changes . Frames were taken once a year for about 25 years.

2006FV35RotEarth.gif
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - 05/30/07 at 18:07:07

Quote from frankuitaalst on 05/30/07 at 12:50:40:
Simulating 2006FV35 in a rotating frame around Earth shows that the asteroid indeed is in an Horseshoe orbit around Earth...

Your animation doesn't span enough time to conclude that it in a horseshoe orbit.

** edit **
I tried simulating it.  It is not horseshoe, it is quasi-orbit, which is more impressive.  And it seems to be stable for long periods of time.  I think I'll let this one run for a while.

Quote from frankuitaalst on 05/30/07 at 12:50:40:
...In this frame Earth is the little green line at the left . As Earth has a slightly eccentric orbit around the sun , Earth is not represented as a dot but as a line as the distance from the sun changes...

That's neat that you've got the rotating frame working.  When I do rotating frames, I get ovals instead of lines.  In your case you are probably locking Earth's longitude, which means that your frame is not rotating with a consistent speed.  It's an interesting way to do it though.

The oval in my simulations is caused because when the Earth is closer to the Sun, it also travels faster, so it gets ahead of its average position.  Then when it is farther from the Sun, it travels slower, so it gets behind its average position.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #33 - 05/30/07 at 22:34:16

yes , i adapt the rotating frame speed at each iteration , so that the planet stays at a fixed "angle" . Needed some time to figure out how to do , but the combination of the scalar (dot) product and the vector product generates the cos and the sin, which are necessary for the rotation so this works  Smiley.  
Working this way it is also possible to calculate the momentaneous angular speed . Is quite interesting also .  

I ran this sim in a normal frame (see above) for about 600 years and got the impression it might be interesting . I don't find yet any reference in the Inet for this unusual orbit .  

This ast is really interesting . It is in a quasi orbit around earth , getting inside the orbit of venus (in rotating frame ) and is oscullating (kissing) the orbit of Mars .

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #34 - 05/30/07 at 23:38:26

Looks like someone beat you to it:
http://www.astro.queensu.ca/KIK/brasser.txt

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #35 - 05/31/07 at 08:54:41

Nevertheless , here's an animation for the coming 190 years for the asteroid 2006FV35 in rotating frame aroud Earth.
The period of the oscillation is around 160 years . Please note however that the frames are not equidistant in time.

2006FV35RotLong.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #36 - 06/01/07 at 12:19:22

Another interesting Asteroid is the 2005UH6 one .  
It has a high eccentric orbit bringing it into the orbit of Mercury , crossing Venus and Earth and into the orbit of Mars .  
It's period is only little larger than Earths . So this must be a candidate for a horseshoe orbit around earth.  
Along its orbit the asteroid passes regularly it a distance of only 0.02 AU from the four planets .  
For some reason this rather big one (0.6-1.3km ) manages to avoid all of the planets .  
Heres a simulation in a rotating frame around Earth .  
The sim starts in 2007 and ends about 300 years later .  
It's amazing to see how the asteroid approaches Earth ( the little green line at the left ) continiously and then reverses ...

2005UH6Rot.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #37 - 06/01/07 at 13:00:13

2000WN10 has a high inclination of about 23°. Its period is a little bit larger than earth . It was discovered in 2000 when it was at a distance of more than 0.2 AU from Earth .  
Size is estimated between 270-610m .  
Its motion in a rotating frame is not so exciting as the previous . Coming closer to Earth in the next few years it "passes" Earth as can be seen , contrary to the 2005UH6 ast which seems to be repelled . Maybe the distance to Earth remains to big (0.1 AU) so that it is not accelerated enough to be "repelled" .  
I accelerated the frames after the close approach to earth in order to save some disk space.

2000WN10Rot.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #38 - 06/01/07 at 22:37:01

2003YN107 was mentionned before in this tread . Its a small asteroid , not much bigger than a church or house here on earth . It was discovered in 2003 when it came close to earth and has a period corresponding to ours.
Its mean feature is that it now seems to orbit a kind of pearl orbit as can be seen in the following rotating frame .  
It has another remarkable feature around 2003 when it came close . I'll try to represent this later .

2003YN107Rot.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #39 - 06/01/07 at 23:08:43

2003YN107 became around 2003 almost a moon of earth as can be seen in the rotating frame herunder .  
The gif starts in 2007 and spans ca. 10 years back in time . The gif represents the orbit of 2003YN107 in a rotating frame around earth but also centered on earth .  
So Earth is right in the middle .  
The green orbit represents the orbit of our present moon .  
As can be seen (one should think in reversed mode ) the ast approaches , then makes a couple of elliptical orbits around earth and  leaves ....

This orbit can be compared in some ways with the orbit of 2002AA29 which can be downloaded in the menu simulations

2003YN107RevRot.gif
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #40 - 06/02/07 at 01:17:06

I was playing around with 2003 YN107 as well  Wink  It's orbit is actually very similar to the orbit of the Spitzer Space Telescope.  See my link in the 'Simulations' page of the main web site.

Here's some other interesting stuff I found.  I want to do long-term simulations on most of these to confirm what the quick simulations are hinting at:

Earth : 2007 FA are in a 7:5 resonance
seems strong.  doesn't cross Venus
Crosses Mars, so Mars may eventually break its resonance
Only the counterclockwise edge has repelling power.

Earth : 2007 AM are in a 5:7 resonance
both edges have repelling power, giving the appearance of quasi, except that quasi is a term applied to 1:1 asteroids.
This lasts for a little more than 3000 years from present before an encounter with an unknown planet breaks if from this quasi-quasi state.

Earth : 2006 FV35 are in a 1:1 resonance.  Frankuitaalst's find.  It is in a long-lasting quasi orbit.

Earth : 1998 KG3 are in a 5:4 resonance.  Very strong resonance.  Lasts at least 20,000 years.  It doesn't cross Mars or Venus, so there's nothing to break it of its resonance.  Maybe it lasts forever.

Earth : 2001 GO2 are in a 1:1 resonance.  Horseshoe at the moment, was quasi in the 1800s.  Will be quasi again in about 200 years.  Seems to jump between quasi and horseshoe frequently.  No intersection with Mars or Venus.  It's all Earth's.

2003 WP 25, almost 1:1, but no resonance.  It does not intersect Mars or Venus.  Perhaps it will enter resonance when its nodes drift.

2003 YN107, horseshoe orbit, very similar to Spitzer Space Telescope.

2004 GU9, quasi orbit.  No intersection with Mars or Venus

2004 YG1, almost 1:1, but no resonance.  It does not intersect Mars or Venus.  Perhaps it will enter resonance when its nodes drift.

2005 CN61, almost 1:1, but no resonance. Compression can be seen as it passes Earth.  It does not intersect Mars or Venus.  Perhaps it will enter resonance when its nodes drift.

2005 QQ87, very slow drift.  Can not crest L1 at ts=1024,  possible L4 Trojan.  Odd orbit.  Not quite like an L4 as its advancing edge passes Earth.  Its trailing edge repels it.  So although it "orbits" the L4 point, its advancing edge drifts past Earth and L1.

2005 TC51, close to 1:1, but no resonance.  Its clockwise edge causes compression.  Might enter resonance as its nodes drift.

2005 UH6, very slow drift.  counter clockwise edge has repulsion far from Earth, even though its nodes are not near Earth.  Can't crest L3.  This thing is an L5 trojan

2006 FV35, Big looping quasi orbit.  Never gets very close to Earth.

2006 YX2, seems to have a 28:17 Venus resonance (Venus : 2006 YX2).  Doesn't pay much attention to Earth.

2007 DD,  doesn't cross Mars or Venus, almost 1:1 with Earth, but no resonance.

2007 FN3, possible Mercury resonance.

2007 JB21,  doesn't cross Mars or Venus, almost 1:1 with Earth, but no resonance.

138175 Horseshoe with 1 repelling edge. Clockwise edge has repulsion power.  This asteroid can reverse course mid-stream due to Venus.  seems at first to have a Venus resonance, but it is quickly broken

Izhdubar, huge 63 degree inclination.  Kozai must mess with this thing. ~130 thousand year Kozai period from Jupiter.

Yorp, sometimes it reverses, sometimes it doesnt.  Kidney-bean

85770, Horseshoe with 1 repelling side

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #41 - 06/02/07 at 01:36:27

waw impressive  Shocked Smiley. How did you find out this all ? Have 1000 computers ?  
Maybe I can simulate some of them if we join forces .  
Other idea can be putting them all together in one file , let it run , output the files and then from this file generating the disired screens . May have big advantages on total CPU  Smiley

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #42 - 06/03/07 at 14:45:51

The orbit of 2003YN107 doesn't seem to be stable for long .  
In a simulation starting from now for 600 years the asteroid chooses another orbit after ca. 500 years as it passes close to earth . It seems to jump out of its orbit .  
Remark in this rotating frame ( Earth is the "line" at 10 'o clock ) that the asteroid sometimes is repelled from earth , sometimes not .  
This gif consists of 60 frames , each covering 10 years . The individual dots have a time lap of ca. 10 days.

2003YN107Rot600y.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #43 - 06/18/07 at 23:00:39

JPL states that there are now 871 potentially hazardous asteroids known coming close to Earth .  
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/.  

The site also gives a list of the 10 latest  close approaches to the earth. Figure hereunder.  
Remarkable is the fact that in this list of 10 bodies only 1 of them was known before this year , 9 of them were discovered this year .  This is due to the fact that  
-most of the bodies are discovered when they come close  
-the increasing efforts and capabilities of detecting asteroids .
Nevertheless its a little bit scaring that there are a lot of potential impactors which are detected only some days/weeks/months before their close approach

closeapproaches.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #44 - 08/10/07 at 09:08:22

Asteroid 1998WZ6 :
How pictures as the following can be misleading .....
The following sim shows the orbit of the (relatively ) large asteroid 1998WZ6.  
Screenshots cover a period of 20 years . The asteroid is shown as the green line .  
Earth is the planet at the left .  
The screenshot shows the asteroids path in a rotating frame around earth , viewed edge-on .  
Screen size is 5 AU .  
Difficult to follow ...amazing orbit ...
The next post will clarify something ...

1998WZ6Edge.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Send Topic Print