Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/20/17 at 18:43:49
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Send Topic Print
Asteroids (Read 146781 times)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Asteroids
Reply #165 - 05/23/08 at 16:22:56

Create a folder on your computer called

C:\Program Files\Gravity Simulator\my sims\Horizons Data\

and see if that solves the problem.  This is the default folder that HorizonsAutomator3 tries to save the .gsim files it creates to.  It always gives you the option to select a different folder, so if adding this folder takes away the error, you can delte the new folder if you like and simply ignore the error.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
muad
Uploader

I Love Physics

Reply #166 - 05/24/08 at 01:55:38

yes, of course á'create e-mail', my bad, sorry

error still exists, i just have to select objects one by one, by 'tick' and then i cannot create e-mail
okay, never mind, thanks for help

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #167 - 05/24/08 at 09:55:03

Thanks for pointing this out.  I get the same problems you do if I run the version straight off the web.  Let me look into this.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #168 - 05/24/08 at 10:17:41

As best as I can tell, the line of code causing the crash is:

Code:
Open App.Path + "\planetdata.dat" For Input As #1 

which basically says it is expecting to find the file planetdata.dat in the same folder as horizonsautomator3.exe

I know you've confirmed that this file exists. áI'm not sure if there's anything that European Windows does differently with filenames, preventing it from finding a file that exists. áFrank, do you have insight? áDoes this program work for you, or do you get the same errors?

When I move horizonsautomator3.exe out of its folder so it is not with the support files, I get all the same errors as maud: á"File Not Found", unable to "select all", and unable to create e-mails. áBut when I move it back to the same folder as all the support files, it works fine

Don't give up yet, maud!! áWe'll figure it out. áThis is the toughest part about sharing software: áassuming it will work fine on other computers.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #169 - 05/24/08 at 14:12:43

The program does not perform smoothly on my PC either .  
I get the same error as above ... but ...
I got to the link you gave , downloaded all again and ran the "zero" version , not the "3" .  
The "3" does not perform any button action .  
In the "zero" version I get :  
Selecting "all " works , create e-mails also , but at the end I get the following message ....maybe this is a hint ...

Errorpic.jpg
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #170 - 05/24/08 at 20:25:51

At what point do you get that error?  It looks like you pressed "select all" Smiley

Do you get that error if you try to make simulations that are under 200 objects?

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #171 - 05/25/08 at 00:39:38

The program ; without index "3" works !  Smiley.  
I selected all the planets and some asteroids ... and created an e-mail .  
Thats fine !  
Maybe the program "3" has some difficulty with the / in the filename , as the typeboard in Europe has other characters ?  
Do you need the full drive name in Vbasic ? In Powerbasic I only use the filename to import files in a program .

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #172 - 06/01/08 at 14:57:17

I came to this particular asteroid through another post .  
1999TZ1 is a Jovian asteroid , about 51 km wide , in the L5 point but with a srtong dynamical orbit . áIts a miricle this asteroid is stable ...
 Cool In the animation herunder áone can see the asteroid as seen from the sun , viewing to Jupiter .  
Simulation was run for ca. 45 years .  
The picture shows that an orbit around a "L" point orbit isn't really a static orbit but can show a lot of dynamics...

3D1999TZ1Jupiter.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Asteroids : june 2008 close encounters
Reply #173 - 06/03/08 at 13:13:29

Between june 1st and 9th Earth got 4 close encounters with the following asteroids :
2008KO, 2008KT, 2008LD and 2008LB, ranging from 3.4 to 1.1 Lunar Distances .  
Heres a animation of this flybys . First part shows the view from Sol .  
 Cool Second part shows the same viewpoint but in 3D anaglyph .  
1 Frame corresponds with 36 days . áThere seems not to be an orbital connection between the four asteroids . It is quite unusual to have 4 close flybys in such a short time .  
Clicking on the icon above opens a new window wich in my opnion gets the best view.

4closeencounters2008.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Asteroids : 1999TZ1's heartbeat ..
Reply #174 - 06/04/08 at 10:18:20

What's causing asteroids 1999TZ1 heartbeat as shown in the simulation herunder ?  
I don't know .  
1999TZ1 is a Jovian Trojan orbiting in a high inclinated orbit . The SMA seems to pulsate in a rather regular way .  
Animation spans for 400 years . every frame covers 11.86 years . Jupiter and the ast are viewed from above .  
Running the simulation for a much longer time gives a precession of perihelion , but also a pulsating change of the perihelion .  
Where the perihelion is at 2 'o clock the perihelion shifts to 8 'o clock periodically .  
??.

1999TZ1xyview.gif
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #175 - 06/05/08 at 14:22:32

It's probably just an artifact of the viewing angle.  For example, the following image can be perceived as the planets having 2 perihelions each:  one at 12 o'clock and 1 at 6 o'clock.

If its a trojan, the semi-major axis should pulsate, causing a periodic change in its orbital period making it drift ahead of and behind the Lagrange point.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #176 - 06/05/08 at 22:55:48

Quote from Tony on 06/05/08 at 14:22:32:

If its a trojan, the semi-major axis should pulsate, causing a periodic change in its orbital period making it drift ahead of and behind the Lagrange point.

Yes its a Trojan of Jupiter, and you're right :it should pulsate , but it"s the first time I observe this this clear. áI made a picture of the evolution of SMA and inclination . Eccentricity however is stable. Both pulsate and are dephased over 180░ . I wonder what gives this long period , seeming to be about 175 years .  
Any idea how the pulsation frequency is related to the major body's orbital period ?  

2008TZ1Evolution.jpg
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Asteroids: a big one is on its way : 2008BT15
Reply #177 - 06/06/08 at 09:26:16

2008BT15 must have been discovered long time ago , but for some reason it has a 2008 designation .  
It has a diameter of about 1 km and will come as close as 5.9LD on july 14th .  
Herunder is a frozen picture of its path in anaglyph showing the orbit seen from the sun centered on earth . The line in the middle represents moons orbit.  
The asteroid comes from the left , seems to make a loop and approaches Earth going to the left again .  
If the 3D glasses work fine the asteroid should come out of the screen at the right . Is it ?

Pic2008BT15_dat_1001.jpg
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Asteroids- very eccentric
Reply #178 - 12/28/08 at 12:30:31

I've made a selection of two asteroids with very high eccentricity .  
Here they are 2006HY51 and 2008HW1. Both have eccentricities above 0.95.  
They seem to be twins in this animation ...
They might  have been  twins , although they're separated in inclination by about 20░.  
Moreover :the orbits of the minor plantes Ceres , Pallas , Juno , Vesta and Hygiea are the greyscaled orbits .  
It's funny : 3 of them seem to go through one point .  
Lets take another look in another thread

2006HY51and2008HW1.gif
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Asteroids : first big one of 2009 discovered
Reply #179 - 01/04/09 at 03:31:48

Maybe an early gift of 2009 :  
On 02/01/2009 this really big asteroid was discovered . It ranks highest in Palermo scale among the newly discovered ones with an estimated diameter of about 900 meters .  
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2009+AV;orb=1.  
The orbital parameters still show a lot of sigma ( sma = 0.88 +/- 0.14sigma) after only 10 observations .  
Remarkable is the fact that 2009AV must have been closer to earth in the past years , so it's a mystery to me why this one hasn't been discovered earlier ...
The animation herunder shows the most likely orbit in rotating frame to Earth . Animation starts at 01/02/2007.  
The green dot in the last picture shows the approximate location of 2009AV at the time of discovery .  
As more observations will become available I'll try to update if necessary .

2009AV04012008.gif
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Send Topic Print