Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 04:56:30
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solar system 8 + pluto stability watch (Read 2177 times)
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Solar system 8 + pluto stability watch
11/11/06 at 10:11:56

running the system as is @16K TS long term probably serveral months for this one to get done I plan on continuing to watch it for at least 100 Myr, if not more.  current estimates place progress @ 2 Myr per true day.

I think that in the case of the 5 Gas giant sim if they had had inclinations of at least +/-1 deg or more it would have remained stable.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Solar system 8 + pluto stability watch
Reply #1 - 11/11/06 at 11:48:16

Are you starting with a true solar system representation including all 8 planets and Pluto?

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/11/06 at 15:14:37

Yes I'm Using the "Only planets" sim that comes with GSIM.  I want to see if there are any potential ejections or major orbital interactions over time @ 16K.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 11/11/06 at 16:23:33

I wouldn't use that simulation if you're planning on dedicating a lot of your computer's time.  It was created under the old version as a quick solar system simulation.  The later simulations have a slightly more accurate solar mass.  Also, that sim starts out at 65K time step, so you've already lost some accuracy compared to a 16K run.  Also, the planets with moons completely ignore the moons, rather than include them in the planet mass as a system mass.

Try this instead:
http://orbitsimulator.com/gravity/simulations/PlanetsPlutoBigAsteroids.gsim

Instead of using Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune & Pluto, it uses the barycenters of their systems.

It also includes the 5 most massive asteroids.  JPL lists Ceres, Pallas, and Vesta as small perturbers for all planetary orbits.  Hygeia and Juno are also thrown in.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/11/06 at 16:59:11

Ty Vm I'll start up on that one when I get home tomorrow.  
I'll Also start a new thread for it.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print