Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/23/17 at 23:43:12
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Regina - What's going on in this sim? (Read 5162 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Regina - What's going on in this sim?
11/10/06 at 22:21:02

Regina sim

This is a 5 planet sim from the Traveller RPG, with a white dwarf (Speck) around the primary star in a close orbit.  

Lusor: primary (1.25 solar mass)
Speck: White Dwarf, close companion (1 solar mass, 0.05 AU)
Clement: planet (0.002 earth mass, 0.2 AU, 800km radius)
Ausun: planet (0.05 earth mass, 0.4 AU, 2400km radius)
Burgund: small gas giant (18 earth mass, 0.7 AU, 25,000 km radius)
Olybrius: planet (0.626 earth mass, 1 AU, 5600 km radius)
Assiniboia: large gas giant (1 jupiter mass, 1.6 AU, 70,000 km radius)

Eccentricity and inclination of all bodies is 0.000  

If I remove Speck (the white dwarf) and run the sim, I get nice circular orbits of the planets, and things progress as normal.  

But with the dwarf, the sim goes crazy - the planets just immediately head off in coily paths into space, even at a timestep as low as 8 secs.  

Am I missing something here or doing something wrong? Do I need to do stuff with barycentres to make this work? Or is it really that unstable?!

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Regina - What's going on in this sim?
Reply #1 - 11/10/06 at 23:02:18

In the "Create Objects" interface, check the "barycenter" option under Reference Object.

If you don't do this, then when Gravity Simulator converts your orbital elements to state vectors, it uses the mass and position of the Reference object only.  With barycenter checked, it adds the mass of the star + the white dwarf, computes their center of mass and uses that for the position.

Like I said in another thread, Gravity Simulator does not yet provide output for barycentric systems.  So your results will be orbital elements with respect to a single object, rather than with respect to a barycentric system.  (i.e. they'll be meaningless unless you're really good with Excel and the conversion between orbital elements and state vectors, as the math can be done externally to the simulation).

It's not that hard for me to incorporate such output as it would use existing blocks of code.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #2 - 11/11/06 at 00:15:59

Quote from Tony   on 11/10/06 at 23:02:18:
In the "Create Objects" interface, check the "barycenter" option under Reference Object.

If you don't do this, then when Gravity Simulator converts your orbital elements to state vectors, it uses the mass and position of the Reference object only. With barycenter checked, it adds the mass of the star + the white dwarf, computes their center of mass and uses that for the position.

Like I said in another thread, Gravity Simulator does not yet provide output for barycentric systems. So your results will be orbital elements with respect to a single object, rather than with respect to a barycentric system. (i.e. they'll be meaningless unless you're really good with Excel and the conversion between orbital elements and state vectors, as the math can be done externally to the simulation).

It's not that hard for me to incorporate such output as it would use existing blocks of code. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thought something weird was going on...  

So I guess there's not much point in me trying this sort of thing until the output is sorted out for barycentres? I don't fancy doing all the conversions manually!

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 11/11/06 at 01:34:13

It's much easier to do the conversions in a programming language than in Excel.  I'll get some coding time after the school semester is over.

You can still draw some qualitative conclusions from the screen plots.

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #4 - 11/12/06 at 10:41:22

I don't quite follow how this barycentre thing is suppose to work. If I've already created the sim without it, can I add it later? Or does it have to be there at the start?  

And when do I add it if I'm creating it from scratch? Can you tell me the order in which I'm supposed to create things if I want a barycentre there?

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 11/12/06 at 13:22:32

Imagine a barycenter as a ficticious object.  It's mass is the combined mass of 2 objects.  It's location is the center of mass of those 2 objects.  The center of mass is just the weighted average of the positions.

In reality a barycenter is not an object.  It is just an empty point in space.  But any object that orbits the pair of objects from a great enough distance will behave as if it is orbiting the ficticious object.

For example, let's create a 5 object system:  
Star A: component 1 of the binary system.  1 Msol
Star B: component 2 of the binary system. 0.9 Msol in a tight 1AU binary orbit.
Planet Aa: Orbits star A
Planet Ba: Orbits star B
Planat ABa: Orbits the pair of stars from a distance.

File > New
 Creates a 1 solar-mass star

Objects > Edit Objects
 Change name to Star A and change color if you like

Object > Create Objects
 Name: Star B
 Color : your choice
 Reference Object: Star A, leave "Barycenter" unselected
 Mass: 0.9 Msol
 SMA: 1 AU, a close binary system
 Ecc: 0.3, moderately eccentric
 Inc: 0, best to define the plane of the star orbits as the ecliptic
 Size:1000000 km, this is not important
 All others: not important

Press Create

This creates the binary pair.  Gravity Simulator uses their combined mass when converting the orbital elements you provided into the state vectors that Gravity Simulator uses to crunch the numbers.

Objects > Create Objects
 Reference Object: Star A, leave "barycenter" unchecked
 Name: Planet Aa
 Mass : 1 Mearth, or your choice
 SMA  : 0.1 AU, or your choice, but keep it close to the star.
 Ecc   : 0, or your choice, but make sure that its apastron doesn't wander too far from the star.
 Inc    : 0, or your choice, but keep it low so Kozai doesn't destabalize it
 Size   : 12000 km, or your choice
 All others: unimportant

Press Create
 This creates a planet in orbit around star A.  Gravity Simulator uses the combined masses of Star A and Planet Aa when converting the orbital elements you provided into the state vectors that Gravity Simulator uses to crunch the numbers.

Objects > Create Objects
 Reference Object: Star B, leave "barycenter" unchecked
 Name: Planet Ba
 SMA  : 0.1 AU, or your choice, but keep it close to the star.
 Ecc   : 0, or your choice, but make sure that its apastron doesn't wander too far from the star.
 Inc    : 0, or your choice, but keep it low so Kozai doesn't destabalize it

Press Create
 This creates a planet in orbit around star B.  Gravity Simulator uses the combined masses of Star B and Planet Ba when converting the orbital elements you provided into the state vectors that Gravity Simulator uses to crunch the numbers.

Objects > Create Objects
 Reference Object: Star A, this time select "barycenter".
 Name: Planet ABa
 SMA  : 10 AU, or your choice, but keep it far.
 Inc    : 0, or your choice.

Press Create
 This creates a planet in orbit around the barycenter of star A and star B.  Gravity Simulator creates a ficticious object whose mass is the combined mass of Star A and Star B, and whose position is the weighted average of the position of Star A and Star B.  It then uses the combined masses of the ficticous object and Planet ABa when converting the orbital elements you provided into the state vectors that Gravity Simulator uses to crunch the numbers.  The ficticious object is not used in the number crunching, only in creating the object, for the purpose of computing the state vectors of the planet.

You should now have the 5-object system described above.

When viewing the system, select Star A as the focus object.  Then use the F/A button on the Graphics Options interface to toggle back and forth between Floating Mode and absolute Mode.  Pressing F places you in the floating mode, and the screen is centered on the system barycenter.  Pressing A returns you to absolute mode and the screen is centered on Star A.

In the case of your system, all the planets orbit the pair, so you would select barycenter when creating all objects except the white dwarf.

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #6 - 11/12/06 at 13:37:51

ah, gotcha now. I'll give that a go.

(formerly known as Mal)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #7 - 11/12/06 at 22:59:27

Huh. I did what you said, and the planets all immeditaely shot off at tangents to their orbits with a 0.25 second timestep...!  

Here's the new gsim file, can anyone identify what's wrong?  
regina2.gsim

(formerly known as Mal)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - 11/13/06 at 03:12:21

The one you sent did exactly what you said, with everything but the secondary star flying away at fast speeds.

I tried creating it from scratch, and mine works fine.  I used 0.6 Msun for Speck, as in the simulation you posted.  All other values were taken from the first post in this thread.

Create New Simulation:

Edit the star into Lusor, changing name, color, mass

Create Speck.  DON'T choose barycenter option

Create Clement. DO choose barycenter option

Create Ausun.  DO choose barycenter option
Forgot to hig Ptrscr for Ausun.

Create Burgund.  DO choose barycenter option

Create Olybrius.  DO choose barycenter option

Create Assiniboia.  DO choose barycenter option

Run the sim.  Everything is in nice circular orbits.

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/simulations/Lusor.gsim

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #9 - 11/13/06 at 09:13:58

*scratches head*

Thanks for posting all that, but that's almost exactly what I did. The only differences are that Lusor was 1.51 solar radii, I actually entered "0" into the Eccentricity and Inclination boxes for all the objects, and I put a leading "0" before all the values that were less than 1 (i.e. 0.626 instead of .626). Otherwise it was the same.  

I'll try to make it again following your instructions exactly and see if it still screws up.

Though as a suggestion, one thing you might consider is to actually make the barycentre an object in the program - that way we can explicitly tell it to use it as the reference object instead of the star.

(formerly known as Mal)
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print