Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 10:26:03
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kozai- 5 earths sim (Read 3026 times)
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Kozai- 5 earths sim
10/30/06 at 10:18:57

here some results for the 5-earth sim .  
I ran them for about 400 years .  
Timestep = 128 sec .  
Tilmestep was perhaps too big for the 4 inner planets , as they lost their moons . The 5th earth kept his moon .  

Interesting is the following :  
1. Time before the Kozai becomes "visible" rises about exponentially with AU ( see last Excel-graph ) . This means that the moons of the outer planets must be protected by "time" .  
2. Inclination changes slowly in the beginning , but increases rapidly as the ecc. goes to 1.  
3. After reaching the max ecc the system gets in a cycle with decreasing ecc and decreasing incl , rising again , a.s.o.  

It is further interesting to run the sim with a smaller time step in order to obtain the frequency of the fluctations of incl . ( avoiding the moons are lost ) .  
I tried to correlate the frequency of oscillation tothe time needed to obtain full ecc , but data are to few . Such a link must exist surely .  

Note : running the sim I observed that the moon of the first earth changed the orientation at ecc=1 , meaning she returned to the earth in the some direction as she come from , meaning rotating clockwise instead of anti-clockwise .  
Really surprising !!!  

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Kozai- 5 earths sim
Reply #1 - 10/30/06 at 11:47:48

Here's the graphs from the other post that go along with Frank's sims.  Notice the interesting eccentricity double peak on the thrid graph.  That's worth some further investigation.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #2 - 10/30/06 at 13:14:33

As I lost the moons in the timestep 128 sec I ran the sim with Timstep 32 . In this sim also the moons were lost . The results are +/- the same , implying the integration should be correct at Ts= 128.  
I'll post the results tomorrow .  

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 10/30/06 at 23:02:01

I have a feeling you're losing the moons simply because as ecc approaches 1, your peripsis distance approaches 0, and there's not a time step small enough to handle such a close encounter.  I'll bet the lost moons are whizzing away at unrealistic speeds.  Use View>Distance and Velocity box to see how fast they're moving.

So starting with a 90 degree inclination for the moons is useful to observe the first peak at 0.5 Kozai Period, but everything after that point is untrustable, including the double peak (too bad, that's a very cool looking graph).

A better alternative might be to start with moons that are 70 or 80 degrees instead of 90.  That way the eccentricity will not reach 1.  Still, a very small time step must be used.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 10/31/06 at 08:44:08

you're right Tony about the loosing of the moons . They come to close and fly away , even if the time step is diminuished .  
Herunder are the data for the 32 sec sim (90° angle at start )  

Interesting is the fitting of the power curev relating AU and time to Max Ecc. This power curve was hardly influenced by the reduction of the time step .  

BTW : in another simulation I experienced also the moons of Mars , Phobos and Deimos have a Kozai trend in their motion .  

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #5 - 11/01/06 at 01:30:50

Concerning the question whether Uranus moons undergo the Kozai effect I was more or less wrong some days ago . I obtained  a very large period ..., more than the lifetime of the Universe ...

According to the formula of Tadeka ( Pkoz ~ P1* ...etc) the moon Umbriel however should have an oscillation period of about 5 * 10+6 years , reaching max eccentricity of ca. 0.98 . ( I guess the formula is valid if the secondary = the sun , the host = uranus and the planet = Umbriel) .This is a very long time for observation and therefor hardly noticeble .

« Last Edit: 11/01/06 at 02:44:33 by frankuitaalst »  
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #6 - 11/01/06 at 01:48:17

Tadeka formula vs. GravSim :
Applying the Tadeka Formula for the Pkoz period to the 5-earths sim I obtain the following formula ...

Pkoz (years )  = 15,479* (AU,earth)^2,9978

This means our Earths moon "has" a period of 15.479 years .  
The moon around Earth at 2AU has a period of about 15.49*8 years ...

Comparing the obtained formula (GravSim )  for Tmaxecc = 6.89 * (AU)^3.3985 to the formula above gives us that the max ecc. occurs after ~~ the half of the period . This is reasonable .  

I can not explain the difference between the exponent ( 2.99 <-> 3.39 ) . Both formulas  match relatively well , but both have their accurancy .

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print