Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/23/17 at 08:49:16
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't find output files (Read 2450 times)
EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Can't find output files
10/11/06 at 18:07:09

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I can't find output text files...  

I try AutoSave, set it to save a maximum of 10 times every 1 year, so presumably I'm going to get 1 file every year of time that passes in the simulation, so after 10 years I will have 10 files and that's it.

But nothing is saving anywhere. I've searched the whole hard disk for *.txt files and nothing looks like the output files.  

Am I doing something wrong here? Or is the "save every..." bit referring to REAL time, not time as it's passing in the simulation? (so I would actually have to wait a real year for the first file to be saved?!).  

And where would the files be saved, anyway? Would they be in the folder with the gravity simulator executable?

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Can't find output files
Reply #1 - 10/12/06 at 00:14:42

Quote from Mal   on 10/11/06 at 18:07:09:
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I can't find output text files...

I try AutoSave, set it to save a maximum of 10 times every 1 year, so presumably I'm going to get 1 file every year of time that passes in the simulation, so after 10 years I will have 10 files and that's it.

But nothing is saving anywhere. I've searched the whole hard disk for *.txt files and nothing looks like the output files.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or is the "save every..." bit referring to REAL time, not time as it's passing in the simulation? (so I would actually have to wait a real year for the first file to be saved?!).

And where would the files be saved, anyway? Would they be in the folder with the gravity simulator executable?

Are you checking the box that says "Auto Save Enabled"?  If so, it sounds like you're doing it right.

Choosing 1 year refers to 1 simulated year.   The autosaved files should be in the same folder as the .gsim file that is being autosaved.

I opened your 5-planet simulation and performed an autosave.  It worked fine for me.  Just to make sure you're doing it right, here's a few screen shots of my effort:

I created a new folder and downloaded "266.gsim" into that folder.

After opening "266.gsim" and maximizing the screen, I opened the Auto Save interface with File > AutoSave

In this example, I asked for 100 files to be autosaved every 10 days.  After 10 days, my folder containg "266.gsim" looks like this:

If you're doing everything correct, try from scratch.  Download your "266.gsim" file into a new empty folder and try it again exactly like the screen shots.  Let me know if this works.  It's easy for me to assume that if it works on my computer that it will work on all computers, but sadly, that's not always the case.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print