Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/20/17 at 18:38:31
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is a planet? (Vote) (Read 3655 times)
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

What is a planet? (Vote)
08/15/06 at 17:55:47

Ok with the debate raging across the "planet"...figured we might want to give a crack at it.

Remember this is the vote only thread, please place all comments in the discussion thread.

and the options are ... yes you may vote for more then 1
For all subchoices inside, indicate the # and letter.  If it's a range between 2 sub choice indicate by using #x-z. if you can't decide or it's just not there for you use #z to abstain.

1Must be bigger then a certain size?a) >1000 Kmb) >2000 Kmc) >4000 Km
2Must be smaller then a certain size?a) >Hydrogen Fusion limitb) >Dueterium Fusion limit Kmc) >Non-Fusing body
3Formation method matters?a) nob) yes, only bound to starsc) yes, but can be bound to planetars too.
4Must be a certain shape?a) Roundb) Ellipsoidc) Doesn't matter
5Divide in to catagories or families?a) yes, it'll make it easierb) yes, because it makes sensec) no, it'll confuse the issue
d) no, a limit has to be drawn on classification breakdowns
6Best sums up my view, if I had to pick one.a) A planet is any object in orbit round the Sun with a diameter greater than 2000 km. Everything else is irrelevant in determination.
b) A planet is any object in orbit round the Sun whose shape is stable due to its own gravity. Everything else is irrelevant in determination.
c) A planet is any object in orbit round the Sun that is dominant, in terms of mass, >=50% total in orbital range, in its immediate neighborbood.
d) A Planet is of sufficient size that, given average system density, would be round due to self gravitation and is the chief principle object for its orbital range. Pluto, 2003 UB313, Sedna and Ceres meet these criteria.
e) Every speck of stellar dust should be classified as a planet as long as it's orbit is stable, this includes "moons", asteroids, comets, and ring particles.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: What is a planet? (Vote)
Reply #1 - 08/24/06 at 02:38:30

Ok since We've had no votes listed yet...Revision to be in line with todays IAU GA (XXVI) VOTE

Resolution 5A (yes)(no)

Resolution 5B (yes)(no)

Resolution 6A (yes)(no)

Resolution 6B (yes)(no)

Just list your vote as a 4 digit number 1248 for all yes's,
use a 0 for a no vote in the proper position, 0048, would be no to 5A & 5B but yes to 6A & 6B.

Looking forward to seeing the votes.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Michael_C._Emmert
Uploader

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: What is a planet? (Vote)
Reply #2 - 08/25/06 at 07:49:21

1) b
2) b
3) a
4) c