Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/23/17 at 23:39:53
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
Welcome (Terms of Use) (Read 157851 times)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Welcome (Terms of Use)
Reply #90 - 11/25/09 at 11:40:05

Welcome.  This is the right place to post.  You can make comments and ask questions in the discussion forum.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Graybug
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #91 - 12/26/09 at 10:31:56

New member...first post. Guess that makes me "official" now.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #92 - 12/26/09 at 12:36:06

Welcome!  Yes, you are now official.

Grumpster
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #93 - 01/09/10 at 02:25:18

haven't posted in a long while. but i love this program. Tongue

View Profile   IP Logged
stom10
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #94 - 09/26/10 at 06:14:39

Just joining up to talk with others about simulation programming methodology and such. I'm an undergraduate Computer Engineer who is very interested in the simulation of Physics problems and chemical processes. This program seems like a very good example of well executed simulation. Imagine my surprise when I clicked a link from a post on PhysicsForum in 2004 and came here to a site still active some 6 years later. Good job maintaining such a complex project, Tony.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #95 - 09/26/10 at 11:43:54

Welcome.  I hope you stick around.

TRILLIUM
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #96 - 09/26/10 at 15:31:44

HELLO ALL
Just a quick note to make this offical

Email View Profile   IP Logged
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #97 - 09/26/10 at 17:03:30

Welcome Cheesy hope to see you keep coming back.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Cygnus2112
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #98 - 11/09/10 at 17:11:27

hello! this program looks pretty cool Cheesy ive been using it for a few days now.  
is there any way to see how many objects are in the sim without counting them out? if there is, i couldn't find it. i started a planet formation sim yesterday and i thought it would be a good feature if there was a window you could open that tells you how many objects there still are (to record collisions), and what the biggest/most massive object is.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #99 - 11/09/10 at 17:29:56

Hi Cygnus2112.  Welcome!
You are encouraged to update to the latest Beta version of the program.  There is a thread in this forum that tells you how.  The following features I describe might only be available in Beta.

If you press menu Objects > Delete Objects, then press "Select All", then hit "Delete" you will be given a warning prompt:  "Do you wish to delete these 112 objects?" Then press "No" so you don't delete your objects.  Now you know how many there are!

Gravity Simulator creates a file called collisions.dat which should be readable in any text editor.  This file should be in your GravitySimulator folder.  It records the time of each collision, as well as the objects that collided.

There currently is no way to quickly identify the biggest/most massive object.  You could open the Objects > Edit objects, and scroll down the dropdown list while keeping an eye on the mass value.

rsanchez
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #100 - 11/10/10 at 23:22:48

Hi there. I'm very interested in gravity simulations. I made one myself. It's based on yet another gravity simulation, Planets by Yaron Minsky. I joined because Gravity Simulator seems to have a lot of interesting simulations that I'd like to run on my simulator, and I'll probably have questions. Anyway, if you're interested, here's the link to my simulator: http://rsanchez1.github.com/Grav/

I should note that you should visit that link on the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Opera, or Internet Explorer 9, if you want to run the simulation.

There is also a version available on webOS devices if anyone here uses a Palm Pre or Pixi.

EDG
Ultimate Member

oh, crumbs!!!

Reply #101 - 11/16/10 at 12:20:47

Quote from rsanchez on 11/10/10 at 23:22:48:
Hi there. I'm very interested in gravity simulations. I made one myself. It's based on yet another gravity simulation, Planets by Yaron Minsky. I joined because Gravity Simulator seems to have a lot of interesting simulations that I'd like to run on my simulator, and I'll probably have questions. Anyway, if you're interested, here's the link to my simulator: http://rsanchez1.github.com/Grav/

I should note that you should visit that link on the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Opera, or Internet Explorer 9, if you want to run the simulation.

Cool. I tried some of the named system (Gliese, Pegasi, etc) and didn't see anything, but the 'artificial' systems (e.g. the cannon, four body system etc) were visible and worked. This was in Firefox 3.0.15.

(formerly known as Mal)
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rsanchez
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #102 - 11/20/10 at 18:36:07

You don't see anything because I had changed the default zoom so that you can better see things on a mobile browser, since I wanted to test some systems (two-body, four-body, and cannon) on-the-go. I set it up so distances are approximately 1km/pixel at 1x zoom, and at the default -1000x zoom, if the canvas size is 1200x800, you'll see a 1200000x800000 km window of space. Considering that Neptune is approximately 4.5x10^9 km away from the Sun, and even Jupiter is approximately 7.8x10^8 km away from the Sun, a window 1.2x10^6 km wide is pretty small. I think I'll probably change the zoom to see those systems by default in a web browser, since I just ported the web app to a mobile app instead.

The named systems aren't too scientifically accurate. I just created them to get a sense of the scale of extrasolar systems. The radii of the planets are also not at all accurate, since I set them up so I can actually see them orbiting the Sun without having to zoom in too much, but that will probably change as well since I'll change how bodies are rendered if they're too small to be seen at the current zoom level.

If you want to try something nice, I recently added the ability to view horseshoe orbits. Just select the Sun-Jupiter System, press R to go into a rotating reference frame, press T to turn on trace, and hold M to extend trace length until the trace doesn't get erased.

tester2
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #103 - 12/15/10 at 10:45:38

I'm just testing my new account.  My name is tester.

View Profile   IP Logged
tester2
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #104 - 12/15/10 at 10:55:26

I've successfully changed my name to tester2 without affecting my previous posts.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print