Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 10:21:32
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Welcome (Terms of Use) (Read 157713 times)
abyssoft
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Welcome (Terms of Use)
Reply #75 - 07/08/09 at 07:32:08

Always glad to have new members, it helps liven things up

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Riptokus
YaBB Newbies

Repeal Gravity! It's
an unjust law.

Reply #76 - 07/26/09 at 20:24:24

Hey, doing book research and your gravity simulator came up. I'm a little confused with the whole system, since if it is put in too fast of a speed in a full system it ejects earth a little more than half a light year outside the system after less than 300 years. The same simulation done slower has a much greater stability, with only a few shots at random galaxies by Jupiter's moons.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #77 - 07/27/09 at 23:18:22

Hi and welcome!
Any numerical simulation loses accuracy with large time steps.  Keep your time step under 2048 to retain reasonable accuracy for solar system simulations.  Depending on what you're trying to do, you can adjust this accordingly.  If you post here, you can receive help on setting up your systems.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
selden
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #78 - 08/11/09 at 04:18:12

Tony,

I've (finally) downloaded GravitySimulator and would like to try to use it to develop some spacecraft trajectories. One of the orbitsimulator web site's pages describes a simulation with accelerating particles. Unfortunately, its link to the configuration file gets a "page not found" error.  
The Web page is http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/spiral.html
The broken link is http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/sprial.gsim

Is there a typo in the url or is the file actually missing?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #79 - 08/11/09 at 09:20:31

Hi Selden.  It's great to have you here!
There was both a typo (I misspelled spiral as sprial), and the directory was wrong.  I've fixed both, so it should work now.

Be sure to upgrade to the latest beta version.  Download these files into your Gravity Simulator folder, and use the exe rather than the gravitysimulator.exe from the install.

http://orbitsimulator.com/gravity/beta/GravitySimulatorBeta2009February25.exe  
http://orbitsimulator.com//gravity/beta/CodeOptomizer.dll  
http://orbitsimulator.com//gravity/beta/resume.gsim  

What kind of trajectories are you going to model?

Astrella
YaBB Newbies

Reply #80 - 08/11/09 at 10:29:18

Hi group,

i'm Astrella from Germany. If we have clear skies i like viewing the sky through my Meade LX200 12" in my backyard observatory.

Yesterday i got a question, how our solar system will behave, if one of this planets would vanish.
Well, i found Tony and his fine program. But i had no fun with the program. The program could be startet only once. The second time i got only a black background and it could not be closed the normal way by clicking the close button.

So i registered here and found the beta thread. I downloaded feb version 2009 and its an amazing peace of software Tony created.

Thanks Tony, i already could show a friend what happens when e.g. Jupiter would be removed from our solar system.

View Profile   IP Logged
selden
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #81 - 08/11/09 at 11:01:51

Tony,

Thanks, a lot!

I'm trying to illustrate some of the stories by C.J. Cherryh, so some of the trajectories aren't the kind current spacecraft can follow. I'll post a separate thread about the project.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #82 - 08/11/09 at 12:02:19

Quote from Astrella on 08/11/09 at 10:29:18:
Hi group,

i'm Astrella from Germany. If we have clear skies i like viewing the sky through my Meade LX200 12" in my backyard observatory.

Yesterday i got a question, how our solar system will behave, if one of this planets would vanish.
Well, i found Tony and his fine program. But i had no fun with the program. The program could be startet only once. The second time i got only a black background and it could not be closed the normal way by clicking the close button.

So i registered here and found the beta thread. I downloaded feb version 2009 and its an amazing peace of software Tony created.

Thanks Tony, i already could show a friend what happens when e.g. Jupiter would be removed from our solar system.

Hi Astrella.  Welcome!
I regularly use LX200s.  I have access to my university's observatory which is a 10 minute walk from my house.  We have 2 LX200 12" and an LX200 16".  But skies here are usually overcast, and light pollution is a big problem.  It was cloudy last night, so I missed the Saturn ring plane crossing.

As you found out, Gravity Simulator 2.0 doesn't work well with European versions of Windows.  That's because they store numbers using commas instead of periods for decimals.  But the Beta version solves this problem.  Any time you perform an experiment, post the results here!

sparky
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #83 - 08/21/09 at 04:20:52

Hi,

I'm Sparky and I am new here.  I love playing around with Gravity Simulator.  I live in Kansas and we have really nice dark skies here.  

Is there a way to get an oblique view of a star system in Gravity Simulator?

Oh, BTW, I agree to the terms of use, too.

Thanks,
Sparky Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #84 - 08/21/09 at 17:42:32

Hi Sparky.
Welcome to the forum.  Glad you like the software.

Try the scroll bar on the right of the screen to change viewing angles.

Digital Dod
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #85 - 09/23/09 at 05:22:34

Hi,

I just found your simulator when searching for solar sail calculators. I'd done a trivial calculator many years ago when first learning web scripting and wanted to try to do something more capable. A brief look at your program suggests I can do something adequate by using the auto-pilot although some straightforward enhancements to the sim would help greatly. Do you have a "wish list" thread  Wink

I note the board says "IP logged", will posts from other IPs be rejected or is it only logging? I expect to be accessing the board from home and work (lunch time only of course).

Best regards
George

harryson
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #86 - 09/25/09 at 07:46:44

Hello everyone,  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #87 - 09/25/09 at 09:12:50

Quote from harryson on 09/25/09 at 07:46:44:
Hello everyone,  Wink

Hi.  Welcome back!

Camster
Uploader

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #88 - 11/14/09 at 03:30:56

Hi all, just registered

View Profile   IP Logged
Milkbone
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #89 - 11/25/09 at 02:20:19

Hello all;

Hope this is the correct place to post don't do much posting, I just registered today, been taken back at what a remarkable freebie this is.  I've been looking for some time.  Now, I have to learn to master it.  Thanks!

Again I hope this correct place for this post

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print