Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 12:07:04
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A few new simulations (Read 3449 times)
Tony
YaBB Administrator

A few new simulations
02/06/06 at 22:46:04

Check the Simulations link for a few new simulations.  Included are two Pluto simulations.  The first shows the Plutonian system, with 3 moons.  The orbits of the 2 newly-discovered moons are my best guess of their orbits based on the limited data available.  The 2nd shows its 3:2 resonance with Neptune.

There's also a Triton simulation.  It's taken from fullsystem.gsim.  The objects irrelevant to Neptune are deleted to speed things up.  It shows Triton orbiting Neptune in retrograde fashion.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frank kestens

Re: A few new simulations
Reply #1 - 02/07/06 at 12:07:21

Hallo Tony ,  

thanks for the new simulations . a lot of people will know what to do at evening Smiley .  

I have one general question : it is possible to fix a point , fi a planet to which the simulation "looks " , but I wonder how one can determine the direction of the view , in other words : can one determine the fixed point FROM where one is looking TOWARDS ...

Fi . one could look to neptune from the sun , or from the earth , or ...from ... Can one determine this ?  

Kind Regards  
Frank - Belgium  

Email   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 02/07/06 at 12:39:43

At this time, it's not possible to do that.  I may incorporate more control over perspective views in the future.

For now, if the scroll bar on the right of the screen is all the way up, you are viewing from an infinite perspective looking down on the ecliptic plane.  If the scroll bar is centered, you are viewing from an infinite perspective in the plane of the ecliptic.  The vernal equinox is in the left direction.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 02/07/06 at 16:43:57

I've uploaded 1 more.  It simulates the orbit of the Spitzer Space Telescope.  Spitzer is in a horseshoe orbit.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 02/22/06 at 21:26:23

New upload today: The Milky Way's central black hole.  

This is cool because once I got my hands on the orbital elements of the 7 stars with measured proper motion around this black hole, Gravity Simulator traced an identical plot to the one included in The Astrophysical Journal's article "Stellar Orbits Around the Galactic Center Black Hole".

My cat is mesmerized by the dots with the trails turned off and time step pumped up a little.

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 07/20/06 at 20:39:29

Asteroid 2006 BQ6 will pass close to Earth on July 29, 2006.  

http://orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/2006BQ6.html

Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 08/22/06 at 19:13:56

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/joviansystem.html

A simulation of Jupiter's 62 moons

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/ceres.html

A simulation of the 4 largest asteroids.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print