Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/22/17 at 17:55:55
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rings of Saturn (Read 2106 times)
Phoenix_Rising
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Rings of Saturn
12/17/05 at 04:58:07

Greetings!
Firstly, thanks so much for the work you have done on this program.  I am in the process of writing a novel based around Saturn, and being able to visually see the moons relate to each other over time is incredibly useful.
One thing, though; is there any way to represent the rings of Saturn on the simulation.  Even a single shaded area would be useful, and even better if I could establish different shaded areas for the different rings and divisions.
Any feedback would be appreciated, and thanks again!

Andrew Campbell

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Rings of Saturn
Reply #1 - 12/22/05 at 10:18:37

Quote from Phoenix_Rising   on 12/17/05 at 04:58:07:
Greetings!
Firstly, thanks so much for the work you have done on this program.  I am in the process of writing a novel based around Saturn, and being able to visually see the moons relate to each other over time is incredibly useful.
One thing, though; is there any way to represent the rings of Saturn on the simulation.  Even a single shaded area would be useful, and even better if I could establish different shaded areas for the different rings and divisions.
Any feedback would be appreciated, and thanks again!

Andrew Campbell

You can just put a bunch of particles in elliptical orbits with the perihelion and aphelion at the ring's inner and outer boundaries.  After letting it run a while tracing trails, it would look like rings.

The tough part is that Gravity Simulator accepts its orbital elements with respect to the ecliptic, not the orbital plane of Saturn's rings.

So without doing a lot of math, you might just want to create objects around the existing moons and use the thrust box to position them to your liking.  It's still a lot of work, but at least they will be in the same plane as the moons.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print