Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 05:52:58
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Create object (Read 3063 times)
Roger_Dymock
Uploader

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Create object
12/10/05 at 04:26:06

When entering orbital elements for, say, an asteroid how do I input the epoch or date for which they are valid ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Create object
Reply #1 - 12/10/05 at 11:00:08

Quote from Roger_Dymock   on 12/10/05 at 04:26:06:
When entering orbital elements for, say, an asteroid how do I input the epoch or date for which they are valid ?

You need to make sure that your simulation's date is set for that epoch date.

If you're trying to add the asteroid to an existing simulation where the planets and other solar system objects are accurately positioned, you'll need to run the simulation forwards or backwards to your asteroid's epoch date, pause the simulation, and create or edit the asteroid at that point.  You don't want to take too large of a time step getting to this point, however.  16 would be safe for most circumstances.  If it looks like it might take the computer a few hours to slowly arrive at your desired epoch, use the Autopilot to pause the simulation for you so you don't have to sit next to the computer waiting.  Pause it a few hours early with Autopilot, then when you return to your computer, unpause it, slow your time step and pause it manually at the exact second of your epoch.

If you're not concerned about the accuracy of the other solar system objects, you can simply use menu Time > Set Time to set the date of your asteroid's elements' epoch.

If you need help converting between epoch and calander dates, here's a calculator I created for Orbiter, but it works just fine for Gravity Simulator too:

http://orbitsimulator.com/orbiter/mjdConverter.exe

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Roger_Dymock
Uploader

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 12/11/05 at 09:48:00

Many thanks for that. Is there any way I can modify the orbital elements for an object ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 12/11/05 at 10:58:27

Quote from Roger_Dymock   on 12/11/05 at 09:48:00:
Many thanks for that. Is there any way I can modify the orbital elements for an object ?

Not directly.  Once an object has been created you can only edit its state vectors.

As a way around this, you can create a new object with the elements you would like, then delete the existing object.

frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 12/12/05 at 08:40:09

Hallo Tony ,  

is there a way to create a new object by just copying the properties of an existing object from the edit menu and changing some values for the new object ?  

Kind Regards  
Frank

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 12/12/05 at 09:34:31

Quote from frankuitaalst   on 12/12/05 at 08:40:09:
Hallo Tony ,

is there a way to create a new object by just copying the properties of an existing object from the edit menu and changing some values for the new object ?

Kind Regards
Frank

In the Create Object window, choose the object you'd like to duplicate as the reference object.  If you leave all the other fields blank, you'll end up with an identically placed object.  Do this while the simulation is paused so that they don't instantly merge into a single object.  Then you can use menu Object > Edit Object to edit your new object's vectors.

In the Create Object window you can give the new object orbital elements if you like, but they'll be based on the reference object, not the Sun.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print