Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/23/17 at 19:42:33
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
two part question (Read 2358 times)
Valareos
Uploader

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

two part question
08/11/05 at 17:30:28

Hey, how can I set up the grav sim to test out various orbital resonances on my own?

Also, can ya look at this thread from space.com and let me know if Im just off base with what Im seeing there?  

http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=askastronomer&Number=278 712&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=4

View Profile   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: two part question
Reply #1 - 08/16/05 at 21:52:22

Sorry for not getting back to you yet.  I'll give you a more detailed answer in the next couple days when I have a little more time to read the space.com thread.

I'd be interested in knowing how you made the screen shots of the inner planet resonances.  I seem to get different results.  Maybe you could e-mail me your .gsim files.

Resonances are only interesting if they're integers either as an instantaneous value or averaged over a long period of time.  And although the planets are close to some integer ratios they're not perfect and therefore probably meaningless.  Sort of like pushing a kid on a swing.  If the period of the swing is 4 seconds and you push every 3.9 seconds, ultimately you'll be doing more harm than good.

Gravity Simulator can not simulate the rotations of the planets, only their orbits, so the Venus rotation / Earth orbit resonance can not be simulated.  It is very facinating although I've heard that it's not a perfect resonance.  Some feel that it is either heading towards a resonance or just broke free of one.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Valareos
Uploader

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: two part question
Reply #2 - 08/21/05 at 08:09:48

heh found my mistake.

there is a good explanation why they look different

I was usng the onlyplanet file, looking from above to observe the resonance that pluto seems to have with both neptune and Uranus (though why neptune doesnt seem to have a resonance with uranus is strange to me lol)  but here is the kicker... I had to up the speed to about 1-3 days a tick to get any real view in a timely manner

which threw the calculations of the inner planets off!

(I find it interestign to note that an increase in the time incrimate tends to push everything into resonance)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print