Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/21/17 at 06:00:25
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print
Negative mass + collisions (Read 3711 times)
Werevole

Negative mass + collisions
07/26/05 at 17:32:26

What a great program!
I'm having a blast with it so far and have a couple of questions for you:

I was curious to see what would happen if I introduced an dense negative mass body into a planetary system with multiple satellites.  The results were surprisingly stable and dull, and I was wondering if the program supports negative mass or if it just defaults the body's mass to 0.

My second question is what happens when two bodies collide?  It seems that one body disappears and the system continues on without it.  How does the program decide which object is destroyed?

Thanks again for a great program!
Now back to messing up the solar system...

Email   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Negative mass + collisions
Reply #1 - 07/26/05 at 18:42:47

Quote from Werevole   on 07/26/05 at 17:32:26:
What a great program!
I'm having a blast with it so far and have a couple of questions for you:

I was curious to see what would happen if I introduced an dense negative mass body into a planetary system with multiple satellites.  The results were surprisingly stable and dull, and I was wondering if the program supports negative mass or if it just defaults the body's mass to 0.

My second question is what happens when two bodies collide?  It seems that one body disappears and the system continues on without it.  How does the program decide which object is destroyed?

Thanks again for a great program!
Now back to messing up the solar system...

Hi.
The program doesn't default to 0.  If you enter a negative mass, it will cause the acceleration due to a body to be away from the body.  For the lack of a better term, I'll call it anti-gravity.

But in the real universe, there is no such thing as a negative mass, so any scenerios are purely science fiction.

When 2 objects collide, the less massive one is deleted from the simulation.  The more massive one gains the mass of the smaller one, and it also gains its momentum.  So the little object lives on.  It's just part of the big object now.

I'm glad you like the program.  Messing up the solar system can be fun  Wink

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Werevole
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Negative mass + collisions
Reply #2 - 07/26/05 at 19:18:23

Excellent!  Thanks for your reply.
I'm happy to hear the program is able to model an object with negative mass because I'm involved in a discussion with friends about what would happen if such a thing existed.

Keep up the good work!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print