Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Gravity Simulator
11/18/17 at 11:48:01
News: Registration for new users has been disabled to discourage spam. If you would like to join the forum please send me an email with your desired screen name to tony at gravitysimulator dot com.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print
Sun disappears in an hour (Read 4114 times)
Rodion Herrera

Sun disappears in an hour
06/05/05 at 18:30:19

How can I set up the simulation to see what will happen if the Sun would disappear (totally gone) for exacty one hour)? Thanks for your answers.

-RODION

Email   IP Logged
Tony
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sun disappears in an hour
Reply #1 - 06/06/05 at 13:07:37

Quote from Rodion Herrera   on 06/05/05 at 18:30:19:
How can I set up the simulation to see what will happen if the Sun would disappear (totally gone) for exacty one hour)? Thanks for your answers.

-RODION

Hey Rodion!  Nice to see another Orbiter user here.

Interesting question.  I would have guessed that the planets' orbits would become more elliptical.  But I tried it and I was wrong.  You have to go 4 digits to the right of the decimal to see any changes in their eccentricities.

To try this yourself, it's easiest to set the Sun's mass to 0 for an hour rather than delete it and attempt to re-create it.  

Just follow these steps:

• Start with the simulation OnlyPlanets.gsim or FullSystem.gsim.

• Press [F9] to display the user controls.

• Decrease your time step to 1 second.

• Pause the simulation using the [||] button on the Time Step control.

• Use the Autopilot menu to pause the simulation in exactly 1 hour.  When you open the Autopilot menu, choose "Current Time", then increase the hour field by 1.  Then choose Pause from the Command list.  Press the [Add] button, then press [OK] Or you can also skip this step and just keep your finger on the pause button [||] yourself if approximately 1 hour is good enough.

• Using the menu Objects > Edit Objects, set the Sun's mass to 0 Solar masses.

• Unpause the simulation using the [>] button on the Time Step control.

• If you used Autopilot just wait a few seconds for the simulation to run 1 simulated hour, then it will automatically pause itself.  If you didn't use Autopilot, just keep your finger on the pause button [||] and watch the Time and Date field for one hour to elapse.

• With the program now paused, use Objects > Edit Objects and set the Sun's mass back to 1 Solar mass.  

• Unpause the simulation using the play button [>] on the Time Step control and watch the outcome of the Sun's gravity taking a one hour lunch break.

You can use the Orbital Elements Box ( menu View > Orbital Elements Box ) to view the changes in the planet's orbital elements.  

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rodion_h
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/06/05 at 20:37:54

Thank you so much Tony!! This is an ongoing astro-debate at my school and your tool will really help me clear any misconceptions about such a hypothetical event.

-RODION

View Profile   IP Logged
Zeca

Reply #3 - 08/05/05 at 13:35:32

Quote from rodion_h   on 06/06/05 at 20:37:54:
Thank you so much Tony!! This is an ongoing astro-debate at my school and your tool will really help me clear any misconceptions about such a hypothetical event.

-RODION

I simulated the loss of mass of the Sun this way. Every step of time I drop the Sun mass by 10%. I think that will hapen at Sun end of life, when the Sum blows away their out layers. The planets go to eliptical orbits but not too much, depends of the loss rate.

Regards,
Zeca (from Brazil)

Email   IP Logged
frankuitaalst
Ultimate Member

Great site

Reply #4 - 11/10/05 at 12:07:58

Quote from Rodion Herrera   on 06/05/05 at 18:30:19:

-RODION

Hallo ,  

Interesting question ... Already solved thanks to the members ...
I wondered myself what would happen if the sun disapears ..for ever ... I hoped that some planets would attract others in order to form other systems . Maybe it's possible , but when starting the great trichk end of october this year I saw our whole system flying away into space ... for ever ...
Only in the beginning of the simulation pluto came into the neighbourhood of jupiter , but moved away again .  
After one night of calculation I found that our solar system has gotten a dimension of almost 2 Lyears ...

Just for information .  
Regards  
Frank  

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print